I need help adding a 2nd sub!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobRoulier, Jul 2, 2002.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I have a dedicated room for my ht 27x16x8 acoustic drop ceiling, carpeted floors and wood panel on the walls and no openings. I am currently running an svs 20-39+ off a channel from my parasound 2205 my question is should I add a small powered sub like boston pv400 which I can pick up a new one for $178.00 or bigger maybe or add a second svs and pick up a sampson 1000 amp for the subs I think around $900.00 for the combo I cant really spare another channel on my 2205 plus its a rather expensive amp to run a sub with. I also am running paradigm studio 100s as large an the setting on sub plus and crossover at 80. I know the svs sampson combo is more $ but if its worth going that route i don't mind or if a powered sub is adequate then Id love to save some $

Thanks for your help Bob

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

anyone?

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I personally wouldn't add anything less than another 20-39CS+. The differences in sound and output capability between those subs are so great adding the Boston just wouldn't really gain you anything. The Boston is a bandpass design with a 7" driver and 65W. Doubt you could even tell the difference after adding it output wise and sound quality wise I think it would be a detrimant.

I think the most important questions not answered in your initial post are, what levels are you hitting, and what levels do you want to be able to hit?

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Thanks Dustin,

anyone else with other Ideas or alternatives?

Thanks Bob

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dustin is right. The SVS will overwhelm the Boston. You won’t even know it’s there. A matching SVS is your best bet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Thanks, thats what I thought[​IMG]

7. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

8. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Jeff, Interesting points my 2205 outputs 300 watts @ 4ohms but I think the it has to hit a certain point to get to that also the bass I am experiencing now is awesome but I crave more, for example watching phantom menace at reference levels with my couch only 5 feet from the sub I could feel the bass hitting my chest now 15 feet from the sub I can fell only a tingle will adding a second sub fill that void? I have the svs right corner behind the av rack I like the couch where it is cause I have a 65" mits so 5' is not an option. why is the bass on dvd-a and sacd so accurate and detailed it is simply awesome compared to other formats?

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

When using multiple subwoofers, use two identical subwoofers if at all possible.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

To max out a CS+ you need 500W. But that will only get you just under 3dB more headroom than you have now. If you add a second CS+ and the S1000 amp you'll get just under 3dB of headroom from the increase in power to the sub you have. Then you'll get another 3dB for doubling the driver displacement capability (assuming you place both subs as close together as possible so they couple proplery) and another 3dB for doubling the power.

So potentially adding a second SVS 20-39CS+ and the S1000 will gain you just under 9dB of headroom. This means you can increase the intensity of the bass by a factor of 8 and increase the percieved volume level by a factor of 2 over what you currently have. Mind you this is in absolute peak output, if you aren't pushing your current sub to it's limits, then adding the second won't gain you that much.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

You may reduce distortion.