I need earplugs for sleeping-any advice?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

well the snoring from my lovely wife is keeping me awake way too often- and I am dragging during the day- I know- I've heard all the jokes (from duct tape to seperate beds etc) only kidding aboout the tape- but seriously I bought some at my local drug store and man are they uncomfortable- first off they would fit nicely in an elephants ear- but for people forget it. I think some type of ear muff cover would be much more comfortable- anybody got any suggestions- I know its a wierd request but I figured I would give it a shot.
    Tim- the tired man

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How about just getting those yellow ear plugs you get at Home Depot for noise protection when using power tools?

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I have something similar-but you if you turn on your side sudenly in your sleep i'm afraid they would jam into my ear-I did see some for sleep on a few web sites- but I don't know anything about the brand or ompany- so I am hoping someone has had some experience-the search continues
    Tim

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Instead of getting earplugs, why not suggest your wife gets checked out for sleep apnea, a frequent cause for severe snoring & potentially life threatening problem that's very common?

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'd try cotton balls(the ones sold for makeup application, etc.). I use them whenever something is too loud- concerts, raceway, etc. They are just enough to muffle sound, but not so isolating as to feel like you're in another dimension.

And they are a cheap thing to try too...

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I use the yellow foam type and find them quite comfy once you get used to the feeling of something in there. They do come out occassionally, usually when you've worn them for a while and they lose their elasticity. I've had one go in too far once and got it out ok with toothpick (just edged it out really).

However the noise reduction you get with them is considerable. Very handy for when my neighbour's noisy-ass kid decides to scream it's head off at 6am.

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I've found the foamy ones don't block noise out too well, and pop out of the ear easily.

I like the ones that look like light blue discs -- they are made of some kind of pliable material so they can be molded nicely. If you do it well, it does block out quite a lot of sound, so you may need to turn up the alarm. [​IMG]

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If they pop out, you could use duct tape to hold them in! [​IMG]

Seriously, this isn't your problem, it is hers. Reread BrianB's post.

Glenn

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was refering to the yellow earplugs with the blue rubbery string between them, they won't get 'stuck' in your ear, even if you sleep on your side.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

where do you live Tim?
    I got a humidifier for the bedroom and the woman has stopped snoring pretty much completely. Cooincidence? dumb luck? I dunno.

11. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if this will help, but I've heard that white noise machines help people fall asleep rather quickly. I realize that the problem you have is the noise from the snoring, however, it still might help.

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I've had the exact same problem with my wife's snoring. For years now I've used the store-bought earplugs, but the ones I prefer are kind of blue/green. They work very well, and as someone else said - they tend to fall out if you re-use the same ones over and over. So you have to keep buying new packages now and then, though they're not too expensive.

13. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I am a big fan of earplugs and use them frequently when I travel. The best model I have found is available at Eckerd Pharmacy if you have one in your area, though I have seen them elsewhere. I looked for a picture on-line quickly but couldn't find one. Basically, they are bright orange foam, but instead of being a simple cylinder, they are tapered on one end (the in-the-ear end, obviously) and flaired out on the other. They have a much smoother finish than most foam plugs and are a bit softer, so they are much more comfortable. Plus, they have one of the highest noise reduction ratings I have found (listed on all earplug packaging).

I also really recommend Scott's suggestion of a white noise generator, which I have used at home every night for years, even though my wife ins't much of a snorer. I recommend you skip the electronic models that make noise like static, rain, rivers, etc. It sounds like a cool concept, but the noise is clearly fake and can actually become annoying. The best models are the simple boxes with a fan inside. These closely replicate the quiet, non-rhythmic sound of a fan or air conditioning which helps many people sleep. The ambient sound in the room is increased, which makes random sounds like snoring, creaking, etc. much less noticable. Some times, having a room be TOO quiet makes it harder to sleep in, especially if there are random distracting sounds. They model below is the one I have used every night for over 12 years now.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/605...o=tp_top_picks

14. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the suggestions-
    Dan:I did look into getting one of those fake noise makers (bugs,waterfalls etc) the white noise device seems interesting I'll look into it. I would love not to stick anyting in my ear at all

Brian:I did talk to her about it-hopefully she will look into getting the situation checked out with a doctor.

Philip: I live south of Boston-I'm afraid a humidifer will bee too much because of Allergies

Elizabeth: the plastic moled type seem much more practical- where did you pick yours up?

This is going to take a little research- I went to another drugstore today but they didn't have much some some gummy things that you roll up and push in your hear- didn't look promising-thaks again any more info please respond
    Tim

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Otherwise known as a box fan [​IMG] I've been using cheap box fans for background noise for years. The downsides are that box fans have only three settings and they can make the room chillier.

I used the earplugs Dan D. recommends. They are fantastic for blocking out snoring. They are also useful for sleeping on planes. However, I found them very difficult to get in. And you won't hear your alarm in the morning. [​IMG]

16. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

Actually, the pliable discs I was talking about are kind of "gummy" -- they are about the size of 2 stacked nickels. I've purchased them at Longs and they come in a plastic case with 6, I think. I've thrown away the packaging and don't know the brand, but here's a link to a similar one:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...BUY-PLST-0-CAT

Is this the kind you saw?

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, I got mine at walmart for about 30 bucks (it's a honeywell cool mist kind of thing) It might be worth a shot. Do you notice she snores more in the winter than summer?

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you look at this photo, the earplugs on a string are just below the short table legs on the right side of the photo. I got those at home depot for $3, I think. Sorry for the smallness of the photo.

19. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

For the last 20 years off and on rotateing shifts use them when Im on nights, I use the green fome. Wet the ear canal
    twrill them up, pull your ear lobe down and incert..
    I sleep like a babe. Now both kids are in college and GONE.
    No body is home anymore during the day but I still sometimes use them.

Caution: Don't use the same pair over 3 or 4 times. They can slide down to far.. One time about 10 years ago I had to go to the DR. and have one remmoved. Doc said it happens allot.
    I was re useing to much

I have a friend who snores big time.. We go to the races at Bristol. Eight of us, we rent a house, his snoring was so bad
    it was bothering EVERYBODY. I was like a load of hogs at a red light... He had the apnea study and now wears a mask with some kind of funnel. He looks like a astronanut when he goes to bed.. It took some getting use to but we don't hear him and he sleeps much much better..

20. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the info everyone,the more I research this the more I realize how much snoring and other enviromental noises effects so many people and all the different solutions to make it more bearable. I went to home depot today (I had to go anyway) and I picked up a pack of earplugs there- I will test them out. Thanks for the photos and links also-
    Elizabeth: The ones I picked up in the drugstore were kind of gummy-you had to mesh them up like putty- but they were still rather hard after- not comfortable-didn't like them.
    Philip: I'm not sure if she snore more in the summer or not- but I sleep right next to an open window so I may not notice it as much- I know that I like sleeping in the warmer weather with the windows open than in the winter- seems stuffy to me. Thanks again everyone- this turned into an interesting thread (for me anyway)
    Tim