I need buying advice

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jonny P, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Alright...so I am at Best Buy yesterday and I walk past the rack advertising several Universal titles (including "Magnum P.I.") as "Buy 1, Get 1 Free"...

"Magnum P.I." is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I haven't yet purchased it.

Getting 4 seasons for around $80 sounds like a fairly good deal to me.

I was wondering if anyone who's purchased and viewed the sets could give me some advice on this topic. I don't have much time to make my decision, so I'd like some feedback.

Thanks!

2. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

What kind of advice are you looking for exactly? Whether to purchase 4 seasons for $80? Sounds like a good deal to me if you're into Magnum P.I. I'm not, so I'll keep my $80 in my wallet.

3. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I guess what I am looking for is a recommendation on the quality of the sets and how they look...or if I should save up for various releases in the future I know I'll want to get...

4. JeffO

JeffO Stunt Coordinator

Jonny P,

I can't recommend the four seasons of Magnum PI enough. The acting between the four main characters has held up perfectly, with an overall lightly done but still there timeline continuation arc that makes you feel that these people's lives are advancing. The stories are varied, entertaining and fun.

As to the discs themselves, I haven't had any problems playing them, and I only have a cheap $60 dvd player. Just be careful removing the season 1 discs from the hard plastic tabs. I scratched one of my discs because I was going too fast; luckily it didn't impact my playing of the disc. The other three seasons are easy to remove from the packaging.

I thought these were a steal at $40 each. If you like Magnum PI, you will watch these more than once. A fantastic purchase. I can't wait for season 5.

JeffO

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

If the Universal sets you buy are the double-sided DVD-18 sets (like all 4 seasons of Magnum P.I. are), I suggest that you watch them all immediately before the 30 day exchange window is done. Universal's DVD-18s are widely known to have a good percentage of defective discs in them. I had to exchange a good number of individual discs from these sets (especially season 4 of Magnum & Knight Rider) before getting complete sets that work.....a real pain.

As for the picture quality.....Magnum doesn't look that bad to my eyes, but it's obvious that Universal isn't doing much more than just releasing them to disc which is a shame as this series deserves much better treatment(remastering and some decent special features like cast commentaries and interviews- lesser series have special features that put Universal releases to shame).

That being said......I can't wait for Season 5 either. [​IMG]

6. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Thanks for the recommendations and advice.

I purchased all four seasons as part of the "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" deal at Best Buy because it was too good to pass up.

"Magnum, P.I." was one of my favorite shows growing up. Personally, I think it is one of the few shows from the 80s that really "holds up" in terms of acting and production value.

I'd missed out on collecting this from the beginning because it came out the same time as "Knight Rider"...