What's new

I need an Enterprise Email Provider (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think that's what It's called. I own an online business and our hosting is with the company who develops the software. They're going to discontinue email service, so I'll need email service using our domain. I see several companies who provide this but I know there are some IT people here who might have experience with outside email providers. I need good spam filtering and I don't want to have to change our workflow, which means the email will POP3 accessed with the Apple Mail app.

I hate it when something so fundamental is disrupted.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Very odd they're taking that step. Honestly, unless it would be difficult for you logistically, I might consider finding a new hosting company. Email is usually a pretty fundamental part of that type of service.

Sorry i don't have any recommendations as I'm just a lowly consumer when it comes to the Internet.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Very odd they're taking that step. Honestly, unless it would be difficult for you logistically, I might consider finding a new hosting company. Email is usually a pretty fundamental part of that type of service.

Sorry i don't have any recommendations as I'm just a lowly consumer when it comes to the Internet.
Well, the hosting company is a division of the software (shopping cart) development company, so there are enormous advantages to having my hosting with them. Hosting elsewhere is just not practical, unless I change platforms. The degree of PCI and other security requirements makes hosting elsewhere a non starter.

I don't know enough to know if this is unusual or not. Though my reaction when I found this out yesterday was pretty much "are you kidding me?"

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't know enough to know if this is unusual or not. Though my reaction when I found this out yesterday was pretty much "are you kidding me?"

Trust me, it is. If you haven't already, you may want to inquire as to why this change is being made and let them know how much it may potentially impact your business. Administering a mail server is not a difficult or expensive thing to do for a company already setup for general hosting.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah it does seem suspicious to me too but then again I use GoDaddy for hosting and Google for mail for about 10+ years now so I have no idea what it's like dealing with mom and pop places.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The issue was brought up when I contacted them about Microsoft bouncing emails from the server. It annoyed me at first, but if I can get better spam filtering, it might be worth it.

To explain, we have a freestanding store, not a turn key solution like Shopify, so it can be hosted anywhere, but then basically all the technical stuff is left to me, and there's far too much of that for me to handle. So hosting with them, which includes them handling the myriad of security requirements, is the only viable solution. We need the store to operate in some unusual ways that aren't possible with turn key solutions, but we're not big enough to have a full time web person. I'm not entirely thrilled with what we have now, but it seems to be about the best compromise I can find.

Thanks guys. You two always come through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks