I need advice

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DavidPW, Nov 4, 2003.

1. DavidPW

DavidPW Auditioning

I am new to H.T but would really appreciate some of your expert help and opinions. What I have,a
    JVC 32" AV320 D 500, a JVCXVN55SL DVD, a Yamaha 5630 receiver.No speakers. The room size is 15x15. I would appreciate recommendations on speakers. Do I need a bass woofer or could I get along with a setup with four speakers and a center voice unit(my preference) Our house is two years old and everything is finished plaster.I think I can do the installation ok, going under the trim and following a stud to the desired height. Which by the way what should that be. The TV is located in a corner.Thanks in advance for the help understanding and advise.

Regards
    Dave

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    Considering you are beginning to speaker shop, I would suggest budgeting well for these.
    Speaker technology and materials are ever changing, but unlike electronics, a speaker investment may last you the rest of your life... or several years at least.

A 5.1 system as you have considered would be fine... you can always expand to 6.1, 7.1 or whatever the future holds at a later date.

I would suggest a separate true subwoofer. That is a subwoofer than can reach subsonic frequencys that are encoded in many of the DVD's... Lord Of The Rings I and II to name a couple.

Speakers are like shopping for a new car. What I like about Mercedes, you may not... and you may prefer the Hyundai. The trick is "test driving" the speakers for yourself. Find a local A/V store that sells mid to hi end audio video equipment. Take in your favorite DVD and CD and audition the music/movies yourself. Some speakers will sound Bright (Klipsch), others Warm (B&W). To be honest, I think you will find that a decent full range speaker package is going to budgeted around $2000.00, and up from there in terms of size, brand and quality.

Do not try and audition speakers at Best Buy. Most BBs do not have proper set ups for private auditions. Also, a good A/V dealer will allow a "test drive" in your home... allowing you to take home the demonstration speakers for 24-48 hours audition in your own surroundings.

Myself, I use B&W Loudspeakers, Wharfedale Loudspeakers, Velodyne Subwoofers and SVS Subwoofers.

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Dave, I don't know where you are, but if you are by any chance in the UK check out the Mission m71i s. They're GBP49.95 a pair at richersounds, the matching center is also around that price, and you can have 2 pairs plus a center for GBP150 which is around $250. It' s an unbelievable price for these very good speakers.

4. DavidPW

DavidPW Auditioning

Thanks for the replys. Do you think I could find some reasonable speakers for around $600.00. In my situation smaller would be better. Or, am I asking for too much.

Thanks all
    Dave

I am located in the Midwest

5. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Well, I am sure there are many good deals for $600. But I suggest you to check out the Missions. They were sold at around $220 a pair in the UK and they are now $85. If they are in discount in your area as well, you can get 2 pairs+center and will be left for a couple of hundreds for a decent sub. I really think that the price is incredible for these speakers I just bought a pair for my sister and tried them in my setup, they're wonderful. My $0.02

6. Scott McVicker

I would definitly say that you can get good speakers for $600. But do take the other posters' advice and go listen. Even if you can't afford certain types, by listening to a bunch of different types you can learn what you like to hear. Don't get too fixated on cost, if it sounds good to you, that's what really matters. As far as 5.1 setup, many people recomend that you get the fronts and rears that are from the same 'product line.' The belief is that there will be a more liquid sound across the speakers because they will have the same "tone." Best of luck. I use a M&K (miller and kreisel) speakers
    http://www.mksound.com/

Scott

7. Bryan G

Bryan G Extra

I was right with you and did not want to spend more than $600 for a speaker set, 5.1 including subwoofer. So I went to my local AV store, including goodguys and listend to what was in my price range. Oh yea, I read some reviews. I have a room similar size to yours so did not want overpowering speakers for the room size. I also made sure the wattage and speaker ohm impedance were compatible with my Receiver. Keep your receiver in mind when you select your speakers or at least what you intend to get. I decided upon the Energy Take 5 speaker set. You can find them at Goodguys or even online for a bit cheaper. I, we have been very satisfied with them. I took my wife to the store to listen with me when I had it narrowed down and she picked the Energy as well.
    Happy hunting. Have fun shopping.
    Bryan