I need a widescreen RPTV around $1500...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone recomend brands/models to look into that my local best buy or tweeter, or even Sears, might have? $1500ish is what I want to spend, but I can go no higher than $2000.. $1500 would be the best price for me so the closer to that, the better (I'd like to also get an extended warranty for it, so that will add a bit to the price, but no matter what $2000 is the max altogether [​IMG]).
    I want a widescreen TV, under 50", that will have the best picture possible, be reliable and last for years and years and still look good, and be good for HDTV stuff when I'm able to get into that. Can anyone recomend something good?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Mitsubishi WT-46809(needs a stand though--might push you out of your price range)

Panasonic PT-47WX49 or 51(51 has a screen protector)

Toshiba 42H81

Hitachi 43UWX10(needs a stand)

If you can swing another 300-400 it would open you up to the Sony KP51HW40.

If I remember correctly, the Perfect Vision rated the Panasonic as one of the best budget HDTV's on the market. On sale, it would be just above the lower end of your price range.

Good luck,

DJ

3. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

It would be in your best interest to wait two months or so. There should be new models from most manufactures coming out late may early june. This means two things: a drop in price and new models at lower prices. Best Buy will be carrying a 48" widescreen JVC with a list of $2000. If it is anything like the one that Sound & Vision showed this month that could be a very nice piece.

Jason

4. NathanS

NathanS Agent

Don't forget the two 47" Samsungs. They are both well within his price range, and both great sets.

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Sounds like price-matching the 47" Panasonic widescreen for whatever you can at Sears is your best bet. A local Best Buy competitor is clearancing them out this week (for $1799), so if everyone is closing them out soon, now might be a good time to catch a deal. Out of the box they often don't look so hot, but if you play with it for a little bit the picture should be as good as anything else.

6. DenR

DenR Auditioning

Don't forget to factor the cost of a professional calibration into your budget. No set in this price range will produce a superb, accurate picture straight out of the box; nearly all can be made dramatically better by a skilled technician.