I need a video capture card, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Mar 14, 2003.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I bought a sony dru-500ax today. I'm going to hook it up tonight. My dv camera has firewire so I've got that covered, but I need a capture card for my wife's parents camcorder. It has s-video and composites.
    I've researched ati's models, and they have a pci and usb model with a tv tuner. Any other suggestions?

John

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I like the LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP. available at www.newegg.com for $54.99 with free FedEx econ. I brought mine from them a couple months ago for $59.99. I had ATI TV Wonder prior to that, compare to the Leadtek, the ATI is something less than a Yugo to a Mercedes, enu said.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

John:

To my knowledge, the ATI tuner cards don't have composite or s-video input.

The All-In-Wonder line (from the 7500 up) of cards has an input option for composite/s-video, but buying one would require you to replace your current graphics card.

There are some options that convert composite/S-Video to USB or FireWire, but these solutions are actually more expensive than purchasing an All-In-Wonder card.

Knowing your computer specifications (and your current graphics card) would make it easier to suggest an appropriate solution to your problem.

4. JohnTKline

Brian, the ati cards(ati wonder usb+ati wonder pci) both have s-video and composite inputs. The pci does stereo tv, that's the only difference between the two. My current system is this:
    Asus PT533-C Motherboard w/Lan w/6channel spdif sound
    2.26 P4 Northwood Intel
    256 MB 1066Mhz RDRAM
    40 GB IBM 60gxp 7200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti-4200 128MB RAM
    Samsung cd-rw
    Sony DVD+-R/RW DRU-500AX
    19" KDS XFlat CRT
    8 usb ports(4 2.0)
    3 Firewire ports
    Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse
    HP OfficeJet
    Linksys wireless network
    Direcway Satellite(ughh)

My JVC DV minicam has firewire, but my wife's parents just has rca and s-video. So I could go usb, but I'm going to read up on leadtek too.

John

5. Brian Ruth

My mistake... the TV Wonders DO support rca/S-Video in. I'd say go ahead and get one of those, but get a PCI version instead of the USB one. The USB version can't support a full-bitrate transfer, while the PCI model can.

6. JohnTKline

I was just reading leadteks site.The LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP has s-video and coaxial inputs. It doesn't have a composite input. But while reading the reviews from people who bought one on newegg, they pretty much trashed ati's wonder ve.
    So could I get a cheap composite to s-video adapter and be allright? All I need is a capture card to collect older versions of video, I'm not looking for a tv tuner per se, but they are pretty inexpensive. And what mpeg mode would I capture it in if I'm going to burn it on dvd?

John

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>It doesn't have a composite input.

8. Brian Ruth

John:

I'd get the Non-VE version of the TV Wonder.

You'd want to record in MPEG-2 in order to be able to record to DVD.

9. JohnTKline

Thanks Steve about the adapter leadtek comes with. That had me worried about composite input on the info page.

Thanks Brian about recording in mpeg2 format, I'm just getting started. [​IMG]

John

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Since you've already got FireWire, you might consider a converter box like the Canopus ADVC-100, which converts composite and S-video to DV on the fly. This way, you don't have to worry about which codec your analog capture card is using, and you don't have to install a card. Most video programs nowadays are really geared toward DV.

To make DVDs, you could capture in MPEG-2, but that does sort of lock you into that particular capture, since you really don't want to re-encode. Also, MPEG is not really a good format for editing. Since you have to be able to encode DV to MPEG-2 anyway, you might as well capture in DV and retain the flexibility in capturing and editing.

//Ken

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

To owners of the Leadtek: Can the included remote be used to control other apps? For example, can I set it to control track playback of mp3's with a media player?

12. RobMcQ

RobMcQ Auditioning

Yes it should be able to with programs like girder or bRemote.

Rob.

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I'm going to second Ken Chan's recommendation of the Canopus ADVC-100. We have one here in the office and it works like a charm.

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The Asus 880 TV Tuner/Capture Card captures in Mpeg-2 with selectable DVD configurations but as mentioned above, mpeg isn't great for editing at all. It will make your editing program slow down and do weird things.

Recording to your DV camera (or a Firewire converter) than exporting that to your computer would be ideal if you plan on cutting and splicing the video together. But if it's a straight transfer I'd recommend the Asus. It comes with a handy breakout box so you don't have to get to the back of your computer to connect cables. $62 shipped at Newegg.

Asus link