I Need A Universal Remote!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Wolf, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

I just got a new Reciever and Surround Sound system. I now have 5 remotes: DVD, Reciever, HD Cable Box, Tivo, TV.

I would like to get 1 remote that could control all of these. I know that I will lose out on some functionality (Tivo) by getting 1 remote, but can anyone suggest a good remote that will has a ton of functionality?

Thanks!

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Any of the Philips Pronto models would fit the bill AND you won't lose the functionality of your Tivo. Check out Pronto File SectionRemote Central for user configuration files the have been uploaded which include the Tivo.

3. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Thanks! I looked, but Im still confused, im not that technologically savvy...

Are you saying that if I buy a Phillips Pronto remote, ill be able to control all of my components, including Tivo?! is this easy to set up?

Which model remote should I get?

4. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

5. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Arthur,

Thanks! Can you suggest a remote that may be a bit cheaper? I do not wanna speand $300+ for a remote!

appreciate it

6. Joe Wyant

Joe Wyant Extra

I use a Sony touch screen and they are about $180 I believe. It wasn't that hard to set-up, it is learning so it should be able to be set-up to control anything that has a remote control and it just looks really cool. [​IMG] My wife got really mad that with like 7 remotes she couldn't even turn on the t.v. so I was ordered to make it easier. You can even set-up the remote so one button does several functions at once, like turn every thing on/off or switch all the equipment to where it is supposed to be for watching a DVD etc. To me there was nothing worse than having spent thousands of dollars on equipment and have to fumble with several remotes to use it. As far as I am concerned ease of use is worth the money.

7. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

If you'd rather have a remote with physical (tactile) buttons, you should look at the MX-500 or MX-700 by Home Theater Master. You can read the review of the MX-700 at www.remotecentral.com
    I have the 700 and really like it.

8. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

9. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

sometimes the for sale forum has the tsu2000 for under 200 bucks.
    that's where i got mine. [​IMG]
    Like Tony says, it's GREAT@

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

there is one made by rca thats pretty well the same as one of the prontos. it's 129.00 you program everything, and you can even program macros in it.... very nice for the "budget" system owner like myself!

11. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Adam, I have had the Sony RM-AV2100 for 3 years. It has been very reliable, durable (my wee ones toss it about), and has all the potential macros I need. Thus said, I am tired of the touch screen exclusively. The buttons are quite small and even in decent light conditions I have to sometimes use the backlight. I will receive my MX-500 tomorrow. It combines a relabeling lcd with lots of hard buttons. The reviews are excellent and I purchased mine for $ 126.95 delivered to my door from:
    bluedo
    I get a 30 money back guarantee and a 2year warranty as well.
    I will let you know how I like it. If you like sitting on the couch and hitting hard buttons without looking down or using a backlight, I would think really hard before you get the Sony touchscreen! The Sony is a great remote, especially if you have a lot of Sony products, I just miss my buttons!

12. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

There's also a Pronto Neo (TS500, I think) that goes for around $150 or less on line. I'm considering either that or the MX500. The Neo is nice because it adds a few more "hard buttons" over the other Prontos.

Aaron

13. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I had a pronto for awhile, and decided that the LCD only style of remote wasn't for me. I missed the hard buttons. I just picked up a MX-500, and am in love with it. It took me no more than 3 hours to program, including setting up macros. It does everything all of my other remotes used to do (replaced 6), and is simple to use for everyone in my household. I can't recommend it enough. I paid about $125 for it.

14. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Don, what equipment is it controlling?

15. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

dan joy, when did you purchase it, the price I see is 161.95

16. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

This package was recommended to me.
    http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/prod...odel=MX-500PKG
    It's also $160, but it includes another learning remote and a JP1 interface. I still haven't figured out what the additional stuff is for, naming the JP1. If anyone has any ideas.....
    Aaron

17. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

If you don't want to spend the dosh for a touchscreen remote, I highly suggest you look for a JP1 compatible remote. Checkout Yahoo JP1 group or remotecentral.com under the oneforall (OFA) forum for a list of these.
    Basically, with a $25 ratshack remote and a $10 JP1 cable you can do all manner of remote programming and hacking via windows. A bunch of clever folks have even figured out how to insert new code (called "extenders") into the remotes to add new functionality that wasn't available on the original.
    I've got a 2 year old 6in1 15-1994 from Radio Shack (since discontinued), made by OneForAll that controls 8 devices in my AV rack including my TiVo, my Empeg MP3 player, my X-10 lighting and fireplace control, and all of the normal DVD/Receiver/Cablebox/TV stuff.
    You'll need access to Microsoft Excel for some of the more "advanced" options like creating new device upgrades (I created a custom TiVo device code to optimize the key layout) or combining devices (I have a custom code that combines TV and X10 control), since the tools for creating these are written as spreadsheets.
    I don't have an LCD touchscreen, but I don't need one either. Just like the Pronto guys, I have one remote that runs everything, and each "mode" can be accessed via a single button push. I hit one key to setup everything for TiVo watching, another for DVD, etc.
    Using JP1 ranges from a 1/10 for just setting up existing codes (its easier than doing it the "normal" way by pressing a zillion keys) to about 7/10 for doing "custom" stuff like adding extenders or creating/merging upgraded device codes.
    Hope that helps.

18. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Kamal_K
    I purchased it Sunday night. It should be here today and it is just the MX-500 remote without JP1 and one for all. I am waiting for it to come[​IMG]

19. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

20. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Hey all, I just received my MX-500 at 2pm today and by 5pm it was all aux 155(erased all inherent codes), lcd screen edited and erased, controls, macros and favorites learned and a big s*** eating grin on my face.
    My observations are as follows;
    Use excel sheet to plan devices and screens
    aux 155 everything first
    erase all screens
    used learned remotes to teach all commands
    organize and learn macros
    organize and learn favorites
    open a cold beverage, sit back and play!
    I used my AV-2100 to transfer the Sony discrete on codes to my DA5ES and KV35V65 tv for macros.
    Without all of your help I would still be bit**ing about my AV2100 [​IMG]
    Bluedo was awesome and wouldn't hesitate from ordering from them again.
    As you can tell I already like this remote! See ya Sony AV2100!
    [​IMG]