What's new

i need a subwoofer, darnit (1 Viewer)

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
I need a subwoofer and I only want to spend around 150. If all you're going to reply with is. "yo bro, save your money and buy something more expensive you won't regret it." DONT REPLY. I'm well aware that a ferrari is better than a ford taurus.

I used to work at best buy and really liked the sound of the athena as-p4000. It used to be cheap, REALLY cheap with my discount. But, I no longer work there and for some odd reason the price for that subwoofer skyrocketed and I can't find them anywhere for under 200 anymore. I also noticed in my research that you guys really like the *thinking*...*thinking*...alrite I forgot the name AHHHHHHHHhhhHH...DAYTON subwoofer. I heard it was really too boomy for a lot of people. I'd deal with that, but I can't seem to find them anywhere?

So, my main question would be; Does anyone know where I can find the Athena as-p4000 or the Dayton for around 150? If not, can you suggest a subwoofer that you have, or had that I could find for around that price range. I live in NYC so finding a subwoofer on craigslist for a decent price is very possible. Just shoot me up some model numbers! :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The one that gets the most buzz is the 10", but it's a different design from the one I have, so I don't know what the word is on it.

If you do a search on Dayton 10" or "tiny mighty" you'll find plenty to read.

Parts Express runs regular sales on the 10", dropping the price to around $100. For that price I would definitely say it's worth it, with little competition for the price/performance combination.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The model numbers are SUB-100 and SUB-120. One has a 10" and the other a 12". These have long been a favorite in this price range. About a year ago they changed the design and ever since then there hasn't been as much talk about them. However, I believe they are probably still the best value in this price range.

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
great, thanks for the link and the input. Is anyone familiar with this subwoofer:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/539813201

I saw it on another thread and not much was said about it. It's right in my price range. I noticed it says it has "tight" bass which is really what I'm after since I play a lot of music on my speakers. But, I'm not very specification savvy when it comes to subwoofers. How does this subwoofer compare to the one of the daytons?

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
Woops, I posted a bum link. Here's the stats for the vanns sub:

Continuous (100 watts) and reserve dynamic (150 watts) power of this high-performance Class A/B amplifier gives you those exploding special effects, pulsing percussion, or low sustained notes for dramatic impact. This stylish subwoofer is able to accurately reproduce a wide spectrum of material with a frequency response of 36-120 Hz (+/- dB). The 10" (8.2" piston diameter) driver is engineered with a coated fiber cone and inverted dust cap to assure long-term reliability while a large 2" high-temp copper voice coil is specifically matched with a 40 ounce magnet to provide that dynamic bass you can feel right down to your bones! To separate this Velodyne subwoofer from others, the front-firing bass-reflect design of this acoustically neutral LDP speaker minimizes the distortion created in other port cabinets, while maximizing bass impact.

and the dayton:

Specifications: *10" long throw woofer *125 watt amp *Low pass filter: 40 - 180Hz 12dB/octave *Frequency response: 30 - 180Hz *Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 16-1/2" H x 15-3/4" D.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Velo makes good subs, but at this price point either one will probably work. Between the two, the Velo name would sway me in their direction, but the lower extension of the Sub-100 is a bit of a plus in its favor. The Velo will be tighter would be my guess based on the lack of extension, and their subs are typically good with music.

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
Awesome, thanks john. That's some good advice. I went with the velo. I found one for 145 shipped and I believe they ship from the state right next to mine so I should see it very soon. I'm hella stoked. I haven't had bass in 2 years...

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
Let me know what you think of that sub. Because I'm in the EXACT same boat as you are. (Worked at Best Buy, got an all Athena set up, now that I don't work there i need a sub). I made a DIY 15" Quatro for about $300, but it just doesnt go as low as my friends 12" Dayton.

Sorry for the ramblings, just interested in what you think about the Velo.

AL

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
yea!!!!! i have athena's too. Holy shit bob, and then if you hate best buy as much as I do I think we'll have to do a DNA test to see if we're twins split from birth.

I got the tall athena speakers, if you know what I'm talking about. ws-100's and what not... They have absolutely no bass. I'll definitely let you know whether I like the sub or not. I heard a lot of people think the dayton is "boomy" and that sound just irritates my ears. I like "tight" bass as opposed to boomy. It gives it a crisper, clean, precise bass that I adore. The velo is supposed to have that type of bass, which should be similar to the athena model. I don't know if you know, but we could have got that subwoofer for 90 bucks thru the manufacture. We missed out big time on that deal, but oh well.

What athena's do you have?

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Athena F2.2's (paid $400 online, couldve done around $350ish thru best buy). And boooooooy do I miss my discount there... I wasnt impressed with the WS series, however the 100's do have a nice soundstage- but I really prefer bass more; I completely understand the desire for a sub.

My roommate has the dayton 12" and its... not bad? He had tho ship the driver back because it broke so they upgraded it for free. With the new driver it sounded a lot better. (at the moment we're using Athena S.5's with the Dayton sub in our dorm)

But def let me know how the velo treats you. My Quatro gives tight bass... but I just dont think I really like the sound of a sealed sub as much as a ported...

AL

Linda K

Agent
Real Name
Linda K
My friend AlanZ, some of you guys may know him on here, referred me to the Dayton sub. I have the 12" one. I don't have a lot of experience with subs (this is my first one) but I think it sounds great! My roommates complain about how much boom it has so I have it turned down pretty low but it still delievers!

And yes, I am a woman that's into HT so shoot me! :laugh: ;)

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
i really wish i could hear the dayton and the one I ordered side by side. Would you say the dayton sounds good in movies but lacks in music linda?

Linda K

Agent
Real Name
Linda K
No, it sounds great with music too! :emoji_thumbsup: I was really surprised since it is a lower end sub.

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
I got my sub, it has red and white connections on the back. Can I still hook it up with my regular subwoofer cable or do I need something special?

theotherwhiteguy

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
I bought a 3 dollar Y cable and connected it to my sub cable, not sure if it's suitable for a subwoofer cable? It's working though... If this sub has a built in amp does it work with both available connections on the sub? Because it also can work with the speaker wire. Although I've only had one other sub in my room, this one doesn't really impress me. For the price it's worth it but I'd try and find the Athena somewhere online AL. You might pay 50 bucks more but it'll be worth it.

BassOdyssey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I here you can get a pretty solid Nuance sub for the price range your in. I believe its regular price $4000.00, but you could probably talk the sales men down to $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks