What's new

I need a sub (1 Viewer)

Pedro Diaz

Agent
I have a HK AVR320 with 4 JBL N24 speakers. I need a sub. I received the SONY SA-WM40 sub recommendation but it is not available in Mexico. :frowning: The only sub available is the SA-WM20 but I think I can get a better one.
Which other sub is a good option?
I have Infinity, Definitive, Marantz, and other good brand dealers nearby.
My budget is more or less $400 USD.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Pedro Diaz

Agent
If the dealer has a "12 month promotion without any interest" my budget can climb to the $600 USD frontier.

I have one dealer that has the following line of subwoofers: CANTON, KLIPSCH, PARADIGM and THIEL. This dealer has the promotion.

What do you think of a Paradigm sub? Which one should I be looking for? Or should I be looking for another brand?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's my understanding from a fellow in the DIY area that shipping to Mexico is a big deal.

Not sure if Paradigm is priced fairly or not in Mexico, but I'd try for a Paradigm PW2200 with a $600 budget.

Pedro Diaz

Agent
Problem is going to be shipping and taxes fees.
UPS quoted $250 USD for shipping the SA-WM40 to my office.
Taxes are around 30%.
So, if I buy the RAVA ($399) plus shipping ($250) and duties and taxes ($120), I end with a $769 sub. :frowning:
Shipping and tax fees are killing.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
$250 USD for shipping the SA-WM40?
Yikes! Que mala Suerte!

That means you need to get a $100- $150 sub to meet your budget, right? The only subs that I can think of under these circumstances are the DLS 10 (See the active thread) or one of the Audiosource subs that you could mod later from Ubid.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you have some basic wood-working skills, you could build an amazing sub for $400. A Tempest or Shiva are the obvious candidates. You would still have to pay shipping on the Amp and Sub Driver, but it couldn't be as much as a sub/amp/enclosure. With $400 you could easily build a sub w/ amp that would be in a league with the SVS, and HSU's, and would definatly outclass the Klipsch and cheaper Paradigm stuff.
It's going to be hard to compete w/ the likes of Thiel and Canton, but it's also going to be hard for you to afford those also. I know I sure as heck can't afford anything from Thiel. But have to give them props because their factory is about 45 min from me in Lexington Kentucky.
If you do decide to go the DIY route, check out the DIY forum for a few weeks before you commit to the project, you'll learn alot. That said, a DIY sub is one of the easiest projects out there. I built my EBS Shiva working about 4 hours a day for 3 days, and It's not just a basic black box. DIY Subs will most times LOOK alot better than most comercial subs in the range, and you can build it to look how ever you want it to, which is one of the best parts.
Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks