I Need a Sub to match up with my LINN Ninka's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Travis R., Jan 2, 2004.

1. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

I am looking to purchase a Sub to match with my LINN Ninka's that are currently "passive bi-wired". My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D850s. I listen to music and movies equally. My budget is approximately $2000.00 CDN. I appreciate any advice you may have to give.

The rest of my speakers are.

Centre - M&K 750 THX
    Rears - Mirage OMR-2 (Omnipolar)

2. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi travis

have you tried the Linn Sizmik, or the Linn Afekt subwoofers. both have amazing bass and can really go down low in frequency.

not sure about the price though, i sell both, and they are quite expensive here in cape town.

3. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Hello Simon. Thanks for the pointers. I know the LINN subs are fairly expensive here in Canada. I will check out my dealer and see.
    Because the speakers are upgradeable and I may go to an ACTIV system someday I don't want to purchase an inferior sub if I go that way.

4. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at an SVS PB-2+

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Travis, I have Linn Keilidhs(hope I spelled that right) and I have it matched with a Linn 5120 and an SVS 22(25)-31 CS w/ 350w amp. I am very please with the way it blends smoothly with the Linns. It often seems like I have no sub on most if not all material I play back depending on my calibration levels. With an SVS you wont be able to tell where the Ninkas drop off and when the SVS kicks in its that seemless. There are many in Canada who prefer the ease of getting a Paradigm or Mirage which both have very good models, but if you can swing getting a sub from a web based company in the US, you should try at least..you wont be disappointed on any of the models, trust me. How does a M&K sound with Linn?

6. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Keir I here alot about the SVS subs on this forum and personally have never heard of them until I found this site. My concern about the SVS sub that you may help me with is does it play music well. From all that I've heard you need a fast sub and because the NINKA's are a very precise sounding speaker I don't want to mess the sound I am getting with them. I will try to get more information on the SVS subs and see if they are sold here in Ottawa so I can listen to it.
    As far as how the M&K centre speaker goes it is a very good centre speaker and I find it goes amazing with the NINKA's. The clarity of the dialogue is awesome and I don't get the feeling it is an inferior speaker to match with my LINN's. I hope that helps.

7. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thats good to hear that you have a great match for your front stage, one that I am suprised at a little given that how M&K speakers are designed..I do like the sound of them and if I had a dedicated theater for movies only they would be on my short list of what I would like to have. I have heard your Ninkas (lucky guy) and I think they will blend well with any SVS line IMO. They can keep up with music but at the same time not call attention to itself, of course given that you have it calibrated appropriately. I am often fool to think I have full range speakers and you know that my Keilidhs are not even close to that not being aktiv. Good luck with your search...you can also try to get a deal on a new or used Sizmik or 5150.

8. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Hello Keir (or whoever reads this reply) I've been wondering how you went about your purchase of you SVS. There is obviously a strong supporting group on this forum for SVS subs however I am curious if you were able to listen to the sub pre-purchase. The testimonials on this forum are bascially stating that it is the best sub in the world however I am someone who likes to hear a speaker pre-purchase especially if I am spending 1000's of dollars on it. I am not a hardcore HT audiophile but I do like good quality sound and performance and I am not shy about spending money on it however I believe blindly purchasing a speaker without hearing it is potential step into disappointment. So if you could give my your pointers on your purchase process of the SVS that would be awesome.
    Now the sub I will be listening to match my NINKA's is the M&K MX-150 MkII THX Ultra. I've also heard Vandersteen subs are good as well. If you have any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it.
    Cheers.

9. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hello again Travis. What I have seen here on the forum is a reference to a site called AudioEnvy.com where one may find speakers or other audio products in order to evaulate or to demo in your local area. Now in Canada, I am not sure if there is much support for this tool. But I can assure you that to purchase a SVS just to audition in your room with your gear is worth the cost of shipping IF you ship it back which I hardly doubt you would after hearing it once calibrated. Yes, they are that good...but it may not work for your setup which happens from time to time of course. Thats why they offer the options of sending it back if thats what a customer wants to do. I bought one on just the recommendations from so many on this and other forums and have not looked back. I could not even think of owning another sub and I live in a city where there are many to choose from and to audition. Some like Velodyne and your M&K are very nice too but for the $$, its hard to beat a SVS in my book at least. Order one and if it doesnt meet your needs, then you could send it back less shipping I believe.