i need a ridiculous tuxedo for a senior prom

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Sam E. Torres, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

okay, so i'm a freshman in college and a friend of mine wants me to take her to her prom. i told her i would only do it if i could wear the most ridiculous tuxedo i could find. now, im not talking predictably ridiculous like dumb and dumber or anything. i want like...really bad. preferably something very trashy like a camouflage tuxedo, cowboy tuxedo, or an american/confederate flag tuxedo. any suggestions/ideas for places to find these things somewhat cheap?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A costume shop but please take her with you when you go there.

Glenn

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Last year a local couple made their tuxedo and dress out of duct tape. Very well done. Of course, you can't buy or rent this sort of thing.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You can cheap out and do something like this if you can't find a good one.

I remember on Home Improvement Tim had a tux in a tote or something, it came out all wrinkled but he wore in anyway.

If you can find one of those weird shirts that roll up like window shades in the Looney Tunes cartoons that would be cool too. [​IMG]

Otherwise one made out of cammo, polka dot, or tie-die material would catch an eye or two.

5. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Unless she is really cool with this, you might want to think it through... Proms mean a lot to some girls... just a thought, it might not be a good idea to ruin it for her, if she is a friend.

6. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Topher on this one. Proms are REAL BIG THINGS in a girl's life. Although she agreed with your conditions on the surface, she might have thought you were kidding and expect you to show up dressed (mostly) normally.

If you really want to do this, then be sure you involve her in the process. It's okay to surprise everyone else, but NOT her.

Paul

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Go with a standard tux. Black. Nothing else.

Even if your friend is only a friend, you never know who you might meet.

Men look great in a tux. Go with your strong suit. [​IMG]

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I agree with the last few posts. Keep your dates feelings in mind. Maybe she thinks it would be a hoot...and maybe she just says that.

Beyond that, I agree with Lew. You never, ever know...

Take care,
    Chuck

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Gotta agree with the others. Involve the friend in what you are doing. Surprising her just ain't a good thing.

Personally, I'd go with Lew on this. Just get a classic black tux. Who knows who you'd meet? [​IMG]

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Go to a thrift shop and do like Joe Pechi did in "My Cousin Vinny", what I would of gave for that tux when I was in highschool (it reeked of such bad taste).[​IMG]

11. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

You really want to be on the 10 o'clock local news, ehh?[​IMG]

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It sounds like an awful plan to me.

Prom is important to for most people that decide to attend. For you to make a mockery of the prom, yourself and your date reeks of immaturity and insensitivity.

Why not take that confederate flag tux and walk through harlem if you want some attention?

If you want to do your friend a favor, wear a standard tux, smile, be polite, and be honored that she asked you.

Just my opinion...

13. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

May I ask what is wrong with the confederate flag as this person might be proud of their southern heritage (just because it is used as a symbol of some extreme groups doesn't mean it only belongs to them, even if he's extreme don't we still have a first amendment in the USA)?

14. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I think most people get over the prom by the day after.

15. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I think the only person you need to worry about is your date. If others attending are offended simply by what you choose to wear, that's their problem. Proms (at least where I live) are not such serious things. If it were a wedding or first communion that's a different thing.

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't care for the idea personally, but if he and his date are willing and don't mind what others think, that's their choice.

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As added incentive, I’ll relate a story of just a few years ago.

I went to a nightclub in Singapore with a group after a formal do. Two different women (strangers, both) mentioned to me, ‘if you can’t get laid looking like that, something’s wrong.’

Now true this was late at night (or early in the morning)—but still—I’m only an average-looking guy, not very tall and for sure way too old and married to be picking up babes. With all that as a downside, it is nice to realize that the world still revolves.

As Chuck and Tony rightly note—you never know…

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

You know, I did read that :b and totally forgot about it when I started posting.

I was acutally thinking about the part where he mentioned the "camouflage tuxedo" since I just watched the Futurama episode where Fry's brother goes to the prom in the camouflage tuxedo. [​IMG]

20. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

sorry i didn't respond back for so long. i guess i should have elaborated a little more-my friend and i are both really crazy, she said she wants to go all out with a crazy pink dress and she wants me to go as extreme as i want. we're weird and pretty much made for each other, yet we're not dating haha. so yeah, it's not like i was going to be a damp towel on her senior prom, she wants it to be exciting and memorable with a cool friend. i would never do anything to upset her or embarass her...well, that i wouldn't give her a fair warning for...[​IMG]