What's new

i need a recommendation (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm quite sick of the modern guitar garbage bands out there. i have my favorite bands, but i dont want to wear them out by listening to only them. heres my thinking process...ive always been quite fond of piano, so are there any rock artists who use piano as their main instrument instead of guitar? i like ben folds' stuff, or at least what ive heard so far. anyone have any ideas for me to look into? thanks

CJ

TedT

Second Unit
Daniel Johnston. Go to www.museumoflove.com. You can buy some great cassettes (which he made in his bedroom) for $5 each. I recommend "Songs Of Pain" and "More Songs Of Pain".

He's an amazing songwriter, not the best singer though. Some of his stuff is on guitar. Mostly piano though. Depends on which tape you get.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i like elton john very much, billy joel too, and ive recently 'discovered' fiona apple. ill have to check out some of the other artists mentioned here, i'm quite sheltered when it comes to music. thanks for the help everyone

CJ

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dr. John
Leon Russell
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Chick Coria and Return To Forever
Thunderclap Newman
Otis Spann
Nicky Hopkins
Billy Preston
Dr. Longhair
Sea Level

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Try some Five for Fighting. John Ondrasik plays the piano on several songs.

You might also give Rufus Wainwright a listen. Only one song on Poses, his most recent album, features piano, but he has more on his first album (and is promising more on his upcoming third album).

Brad

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Joe Jackson, Joe Jackson, Joe Jackson, Joe Jackson, and Joe Jackson. What kind of music do you like? It's a pretty good bet that Joe has touched on it somewhere in his career.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I second Sea Level this was a great unknown band lead by Chuck Leavel who often plays with the Allman Bros. Also no one has mentioned Bruce Hornsby another terrific key board player. If you like blue check out Marcia Ball.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I know lots of people hate these albums, but you might want to check out Harry Connick Jr.'s "She" and "Star Turtle." Both albums depart from his usual standards/New Orleans Jazz styles, into something more like funk-pop.

I like them, but I know I'm in a minority.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Definitely check out Procol Harum.

They don't always feature piano; some songs are primarily organ, others feature guitar. But they're certainly an alternative to "guitar garbage bands."

Their new album "The Well's on Fire" would be a nice place to start.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
How about some Squeeze or Supertramp? Supertramps "Crime Of the Century" is a MUST LISTEN. Also Styx....It is just an "S" of a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericjonathan
Recent bookmarks