What's new

I need a new receiver. (1 Viewer)

StevePMo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Parker
Hello all, I am new here, and I am on the hunt for a receiver that will convert component to HDMI. I have a Denon AVR 590 that just bit the dust, I loved it, but I doubt getting it repaired will be cost effective. I am not looking for anything fancy, or super powerful, this is just for my bedroom. My main problem is that I have limited space in which to place it. I saw HH Gregg had a nice Pioneer VSX-1022-K that will do what I need, but according to the manual, it needs 15 inches of space from the top of the unit for ventilation, and I just don't have that kind of room, my TV stand has MAYBE 3 inches of space for my Denon, and I would imagine the Pioneer is about the same size. I am tempted to get it anyway, as they have it on sale for $250. Any other suggestions for a lower priced receiver that will do what I need?' Thanks in advance, Steve

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pioneer receivers, at least the 4-5 that I've had, seem to run much cooler than any other brand I've had (which is all consumer level brands but Yamaha). But three inches isn't much. The Marantz 1602/1603 are much shorter but they're considerably more expensive. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1602/Marantz-NR1602-SlimLine-AV-Receiver-7.1ch-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html

StevePMo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Parker
Thanks , but that's a bit more than I want to spend. I think I'll just take a chance on the Pioneer, for the money, it is hard to match the features it has. I won't be stressing it with high volumes, but my speakers are 6 ohms ( 4 x Jamo C406, and 1 X Jamo C400 center ), I hear that 6 ohm speakers tax an amp more than 8 ohms do. Is this true?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That 3" clearance is probably why your Denon died. All 6ohm means is the AVR needs less gain to produce the same power...so it is easier to "over-drive" your amp section. But if you don't "jam", you won't have a problem.

StevePMo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Parker
I've had the Denon for 3 years, just wondering if it takes heat build up that long to kill a receiver? My only other option for placement, is to either buy a new stand for my system, which I really don't want to do, trying to save money, or place it on top of a dresser, but then I'll have to buy longer HDMI and component cables.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As cheap as HDMI and component cables are...move the AVR...your new one will thank you. This is cheap...and AmazonBasics aren't bad. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SCU8U/ref=twister_B0052SCTLI?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Partsexpress also has some good prices on long run hdmi cables in their clearance section. http://www.parts-express.com/term/clearance_center_factory_buyouts?c=158,1197,2140 Monoprice.com is another place to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks