What's new

I need a new projector (1 Viewer)

Joel Verinder

Auditioning
I am looking to buy a projector but would like to keep from breaking the bank. Can you tell me what I should look for in a projector? What qualities are most important?

Secondly, Can you recommend one for under 2k?

Thanks

Joel

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, under $2k doesn't leave you a lot of choices, but here are two excellent recommendations, if you want digital: Infocus X-1 (DLP), and Sanyo PLV-Z1 (LCD). Both are very popular in the economy projector market and both will give you a very nice picture for the money. You can read reviews here: www.projectorcentral.com though they are rather over positive, as is the nature of reviews at that site. You can get lots of feedback here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68 as there are lots of owners posting all kinds of useful info. I'm sure that if you run a search on this forum for either of those two models you will also dig some intersting tidbits.

Your third option is to buy an entry level used CRT projector and construct a HTPC. A HTPC is a must with CRT, as they do not have built in video processing of any kind. I can say with quite a bit of assurance that you will not find a better picture for around $2k than to go this route. But you will have to put in quite a bit of work to get the PC and CRT up and running properly. You will also need total light control. If setup is done well they (the CRT actually) can be rather trouble free for quite some time before tweaking becomes necessary. CRT ownership is more of a hobby. Buy one of the digitals if you would rather watch than tweak.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Check out the Panasonic 300 on projector central, one of their latest reviews. Great projector for $1995, and one place throws in a DVD player as well for that price...

If you can go slightly over 2k, the Sony HS10 is a good machine, but supply issues and a potential lamp issue plague it to date.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Panasonic L300U, Infocus X1 and Sanyo Z1 look to be your 3 digital choices and there is used crt if you decide to got hat route.

Joel Verinder

Auditioning
Thank you for the input. This is great information. I have heard that several people use the kind of projectors that you might see in an office for slide shows, presentations, etc. Is there a big difference between these projectors and the HT setup? I am thinking that there may be some marketing hype involved there.

Thanks

JasonGarrett

Agent
The InFocus X1 is specifically designed (or marketed, at least) to be used in the office and home. Most of the data projectors that also do a good job with video (like the Sharp M20x) cost more than $2000.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I just got a L300u and spent the entire weekend glued to the couch. I highly recommend it!

Rivera

Auditioning
Hi,

I recommend the Infocus X1. The PQ is excellent for the price, but the most important thing about it is it has one of the best video processor of the market: Farudja.

I have a Infocus LP340B at home. This weekend I recommend to a friend the X1 and we installed it yesterday. It looks so beutifull, that I post my current 340B in ebay an already buy my X1 in the infocus online store (they have it for $1,549.00, free shipping).

This projector accept progressive scan images, the light bulb life is 3000 hours (considerable more than the avarege 2000) and is HDTV compatible.

I sincerely recommend you this projector, not for the reviews only, also for what I see when it is working. I also suggest not go more than 100" diagonal screen, it looses PQ.

Don_G

Auditioning
I've been looking into buying the Infocus X1 as well. If you just ordered it today your in luck, because there is a just announced $100 rebate starting today, 2/17, thru 3/31/03. Couldn't find it on their website, but saw a reference to it elsewhere and confirmed by phone with Infocus Direct Sales. Also they will extend the 2 year warranty an extra 3 years when you register the unit online at their website prior to 3/31.

Now if I could just see one in person to see if I am one of those unfortunate folks that see the rainbow effect.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
I just got the X1,

I think it is simply amazing that this $1470 little machine is so much better than any lame bigscreen tv for less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks