I need a New Computer!!!! Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ryan Wishton, May 18, 2003.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Hi...

I am looking for a new computer... My limit is $2000...
    I am looking for something that is good with the internet... Also, good with DVD's, games, and college work...

DVD recorder, 6 in 1 media reader, nice video card, and a computer really easy to upgrade would be nice... I am not good with these things and am not interested in building one myself... I think I would also prefer a package which already includes a flat panel monitor...

Those are my main issues...

Where is a good place to buy a computer from... I want a place with very good customer service, warrenty plan, etc... I basically want the best computer I can get for the least money...

Are there any really good places online or around I can buy one from....

I have heard horror stories about Gateway and Dell, so I think I would prefer to stay away... Also, I hear they rip off people on the building and certain parts.. I have heard of overheating, over charge, etc...

Please, any help you can give would be very appreciated...

Good wesites, Good Brands, etc...

Thanks...

[​IMG]

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

You're going to hear horror stories about everyone.

My recommendation: Dell or build it yourself.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Ryan:

I know that Alienware offers some small-form-factor computers (i.e. 8 inches by 8 inches by 12 inches) that have an OmniMediaCard reader, not sure if they've added that feature onto their other systems. I'd say build it yourself also, but since you mentioned you don't particularly want to, I think Alienware is a good compromise. You pay a fair premium for Alienware products, but I think the build quality is good enough to (usually) warrant the cost. [​IMG]

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Take a look at the 17" Apple iMac G4 (or at the SuperDrive version of the Apple eMac). Those units don't have a lot of internal expandability (for that, see the PowerMac G4s), but they are very functional right out of the box.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'd second that "Dell or build it yourself" motion. Alienware tends to be expensive. If you are going to go that route you might as well just build it yourself and save a bunch.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dell deal or build yourself. [​IMG] Check the deals section for Dell sales or fatwallet.com. If they don't have what you want you can always add that in later.

With games and LCD make sure you get one with a 16ms repsonse time. Last time I checked Dell had a 17" Planar with this feature.

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

No complaints here with Gateway whatsoever. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've found their products (and, yes, I do have more than one) to be stable and their tech support to be very good.

You should even be able to find a system that you want for less than $1,000, let alone $2,000.

Stay away from HP (and therefore Compaq), particularly if they have not gotten away from their unbelievably stupid concept of having a recovery partition on the hard drive in lieu of actual recovery CDs.

AlienWare and Falcon Northwest are to be avoided, not because of quality issues but because you're going to pay an über-premium price due to the combination of stuff + fluff.

I would have to say, "Gateway, Dell, or build it yourself".

There are also a number of places that allow you to build your own and they'll put it together for you, but quality and reputation might be hit-or-miss.

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

9. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Quoth the John:

10. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Thanks for your help guys...

I might try a Dell... This whole purchasing a computer just makes me very nervous... I cant afford a lemon...

Dont get me wrong... I would love to build one myself... I would just have absolutely no idea where to begin...

Thanks for those tips on HP... I will avoid that.. I always liked Alienware, but I find the equipment very huge... Plus they charge a premium...

Just about anything will have to be better than the computer I am using right now... A 5 year old 200MHZ Pachard Bell... [​IMG]

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

Computers with soft power don't need a reset switch really. Just hold in the power switch for 6 seconds to shut it off. The press it again to start.

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer