I need a new chair. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Jan 4, 2003.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I need a new chair to sit my fat a$$ down when my fat a$$ is sitting in front of my computer reading the HTF. Reason being, I am getting a new desk from Ikea. It's called JERKER, however the desk is nothing like the Jerker from Ikea's website. Metal L frame makes it modular and lets you adjust the height of desk, top shelf and accessories, desk is 49x56, very wide and deep, with a concave cutout for my fat a$$ belly to fit through so I can reach the keyboard with my fat a$$ short little arms. The one I'm getting has silver frames and beech desk and top shelf. I'm getting 2 shelves for printer and whatever else, they swing out from the inside or outside and supposedly could even be used for a monitor. it comes with a cpu holder that I can place on the bottom of one side, and I'm getting a modular set of drawers and cable trunking for it. I wish I could give you a link but all I've got is a piece of paper I grabbed from Ikea as I left, and no scanner.
    Anyways, the desktop height goes between 23" and 47" so I'm not really limited for chair height. I'd like a nice one but of course would like to keep the price down too. I assume Ikea isn't very good for chairs and didn't really look while we were there. Of course it's MY assumption so it could be wrong - Ikea could have great chairs. It's going to be on carpet and I'll probably get a chairmat.
    Suggestions please?
    As for the desk, for those of you in Calgary, it's featured in the desk area, right by the "hallway" next to a small rectangular boring cherry color thing.
    In the desk configuration I'm getting, it would be
    $179 CDN for Desk, top shelf, one swingout shelf, cpu holder
    $50 set of drawers
    $20 extra shelf supports 66lbs
    $30 cable trunking
    * kidding about all the fat a$$ remarks about me. I just ATE a LOT over the holidays when I was back home for Christmas! And this should not be a requirement for the furniture! [​IMG]

2. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about Ikea chairs. The nearest store is too far away and always too crowded.

In terms of computer chair, I would list the following things as must-have, in addition to the usual things like seat height adjustment: a) a well padded seat. There is nothing worse than "hitting bottom" when you sit down. b) arm rest with adjustable height. Many chairs have fixed arm rests, and that doesn't work for me if the desk is too high or too low. c) Lumbar support. Most of the time that isn't important while typing, but it's nice to have it when leaning back.

I've seen them on sale at office furniture stores for under US$100. Oh, and no leather for me, looks nice but not very practical.

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Paul, their Jerker line consists of two different desk models, not just one. The model you saw was the adjustable desk and upper shelf model. The other model they sell (which I purchased) is the non-adjustable fixed-height desk model with no cut-outs (63" x 31.5" surface). The desk costs $89 and the optional drawer set costs $49. My desk currently holds the computer (Shuttle SS51G), monitor, printer, scanner, phone, desk lamp and racing wheel with plenty of room left for odds and ends. The router and high speed modem are located on an old end table. I might purchase the optional drawer set just so I can have a place to dump all my frequently used discs and pens.
    As for the computer chair, forget Ikea! Their models are not all that comfortable, and they feel very cheap for what they cost (just like their couches [​IMG] ). Your best bet is to go to Office Depot and see what they have. You should be able to find something comfortable without having to pay a fortune for it. In fact, some of the more reasonably priced models are actually Canadian made! Chances are they've been designed specifically for fat Canadian a$$es like yours and mine! [​IMG]

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've got some nice Steelcase chairs I got from a previous employer for $50 when they closed my office and kicked me out. They adjust in several different ways and are quite nice. The thing is they cost like $400 new, but depending on how much time you spend there, it may well be worth it.

Adjustability is the key. You're getting an adjustable desk which is wonderful, now spend the money and get a chair to match. Do some searching on ergonomics and look for the proper posture. Your feet need to be flat on the ground, so you need a chair that'll get them there. The armrests are important too, if they are too high, and push your arms up, that sucks.

Of course, comfort is also important, and depending on your situation, so is price. I've got an adjustable keyboard trey, cordless mouse, and these nice chairs so that when I'm on the computer I can be comfortable because between home and work I spend a lot of time there. If you don't spend more than an hour or two at a time in front of your computer, the ergonomics may not be such a big deal for you.

5. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Office ergonomics is something I've learned not to skimp on. They more than pay for themselves over the long run. Personally, I use an Aeron chair from Herman Miller and a Pocket Desk from Offi. Steelcase is the other manufacturer that I would recommend other than HM (I think it's their Leap chair that has won critical praise). All of my back problems went away when I switched to the Aeron. Terrific investment!

6. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

recaro office chair. Supa dope. If you can't afford a 911 at least you can afford the chair!

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

My suggestion would be to take the A$$ in question down to a store that has a wide assortment of chairs. Sit the A$$ in question down on chairs that appeal to you and would match the decor of your room. Get whichever one that makes the A$$ in question happy [​IMG]

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    was that WIDE assortment of chairs line some kind of crack, Cam?! [​IMG]
    Thanks all for the wonderful information, does anyone have a link for those HM chairs I'm curious about them, are they available in Canada? Other than that my best choice is perhaps Staples up here.
    Thanks.

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

haha no, I was just copying what you were joking about in the original post [​IMG]
    Also, what type of fabric are you looking for the chair to be covered in? leather, cloth, suede, velvet? [​IMG]
    Leather can get uncomfy if your room/office is hot, so I would recomend a doo cloth fabric.

10. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

11. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I used to work for Staples here in Red Deer selling office furniture. They have some really nice comfortable chairs. They carry a couple of brands now but the best one is Global. They have about 30 different models in stock and can special order in hundreds more or even different colours. Go in and try them out they range in price from about $100-$900 cdn. For a good chair you're probably looking at around the $250 - $350 range.
    My chair is the Executive Deluxe High Back Tilter $250. [​IMG]

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

My 420 pound butt is sitting in a used Steelcase office chair, they are very strong and have good ergonomics
    I do not like chairs that lean back because the tilt spring is always designed for Munchkins, the one I have in front of my computer just swivels and is on casters, you can adjust the height on it in about a 5 inch range by turning a collar, it does not have the air suspension like alot of the cheap plastic chairs

13. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

both the tilt mechanism (not a spring) and the gas lift in my chair are warrantied for 10 years. even with my 350 pounds sitting in it.