What's new

I need a new cellphone... opinions needed! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
hey y'all,

My 2 yr. old Verizon contract is up this week and supposedly I get $100 credit towards a new phone through my old plan. My current phone is a decnt samsung (970?) cameraphone but it's had the hell beat out of it over 2 years and the battery is starting to go. So, time to upgrade...
Any advice on a good phone for Verizon? I don't want to just walk in the store and have a "salesman" push models on me.
I need a camera, speaker would be nice but not totally necessary, mp3? dunno, I have a creative nano...
Any ideas guys?

Thanks! dave

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
what do you think about the RAZR? I want the SLVR personally but Verzion doesn't have that yet

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
If you're even remotely considering the heavily-hyped LG Chocolate, you might do well to read this first:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=122

Personally, I use a Motorola V400. It's a bit larger and heavier than many flip phones, but I love it and it meets my needs well, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade or switch. It has a so-so camera; no MP3 capability; came out at least 2-3 years ago, so it's now an antique... :D

I've used various Nokias and several other Motorolas in the past, and, for the most part, I think Motorola has a slight edge overall (considering just those two brands), at least for my own purposes. (Could have to do with my carrier as well...I'm on Cingular.)

I know several Razr owners, and they all seem quite satisfied. They all admit to various frustrations, but nothing serious enough to make them regret their choice.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the RAZR, it's a great phone. The V3c model Verizon offers has some nice extras.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
According to c|net, The LG-VX8300 is the best rated overall cell phone available in the USA. I have the VX8100 (very similar) and I am 100% satisfied ... thought my corporate contract prohibits me from use of EVDO features. I do love the MP3 player built in & the 1.3 MP camera is superior to most.

The only other phone I would be looking at is the just announced Motorola KRZR, (yea, thats right ... KRZR ... not RAZR reviewed
here
) which just launched this week on Verizon. This has very similar features to the VX-8300, however is a newer, sleeker, SKINNY cousin of the famous Moto RAZR.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the help guys! Having only had my first ever (and only) phone 2years back I was somewhat late to the party and am a bit bewildered when looking at all the options.

Camera is a must, video camera would be nice. Speaker a plus but not essential. I have a creative zen nano mp3 player so that's way less important but I wouldn't not consider a phone if it was included. I have $100 towards a new phone due to my plan.

:)

edit: Scott, the LG looks perfect. Interestingly (and highly annoyingly) my samsung phone can only record video clips but can't actually send them. About the dumbest thing imaginable...

NolanJ

Second Unit
RAZR is the best phone I've ever had. I don't even remember when I had a dropped call or a bad connection.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm partial to samsungs and got a t809. it's roughly the same size as the razr, but it's a slider phone rather than a flip phone. it has camera, video camera, mp3, and speakerphone. i'm not sure about the razr, but my t809 came with a 32mb micro sd card as well.

kevin t

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I always love these threads because they seem to go like this:

User A: What cell phone do you recommend?
User B: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User C: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User D: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User E: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User F: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User G: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
User H: You should get the one I own, because it's great!
etc.

;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Dave, you should get a RAZR because I have one. :)

Actually, I had one of the recalled ones when they first came out; the replacement one has been amazing. The phone is a tank; it has been dropped, kicked, on fire and I chucked it at someone's face once. It's held up nice.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I have the razr and i personally wouldnt recommend it. About the only thing I give positive marks for is reception. Beats the pants off my old LG. Which is good because I travel to a lot of remote areas and rarely lose a call. It is the multiple little things that make me count down the time until I can upgrade.
1. Screen way too dim. (forget trying to see it outside)
2. Ringer too quiet.
3. Side buttons get pushed too easily (ringer had gotten turned off frequently).. side note: the case available at the cingular store seamed to solve this problem.
4. Painfully slow response time on menu changes.

I have had it for about 6 months and maybe there have been some changes, but for me... It's a no

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Good thread Dave, my Cingular contract is up and I'm trying to decide what phone to get, I have a Samsung and it absolutely the most horrible phone I have ever owned, I have heard becasue after Katrina our towers down here are taxed, there have been at least 8 times where I have been talking to someone on the phone and next second I'm talking to someone that I have no clue who the person is and the drops have been worst.....

I've been leaning toward the RAZR myself but heard some bad stories about them too, I just want some decent reception.....................................

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
For reliable reception I suggest any of the Nokia 'candybar' style GSM phones. The 6030 & 3120b are quite reliable in the RF arena. Samsung is not known for the quality of their GSM handsets, nor will some of the Moto flip phones such as the aforementioned and popular RAZR be as sturdy as some of the inexpensive GoPhones. If all you are looking for is reliable reception (RF), I'd choose Nokia. Otherwise, you might consider a RAZR although to be honest, I find the UI getting to be a bit dated and the phone a bit sluggish. There's also a Nokia 6131 which might be a good alternative to a Moto flip if you have your heart set on that type of design. You can find one on ebay (new w/ warranty) for ~ $200 unlocked.

Also, do you feel the need to sign another 2 year contract just to get a subsidized phone? If not, you can pick up any unlocked or Cingular branded phone and use it to stay out of contract. It might cost you a little more, but should your service/reception change you then have the option to change carriers at will w/o having to pay any ETF.

Bottom line though is reception can truly vary based on where you live. You might want to peruse howardforums.com for more specifics on what's happening with the Cingular GSM network in your neck of the woods.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

best,
P

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Also for personal preference I like a flip phone, I cant stand those little half phones, just irritating to me ...............

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Linda!

I get the Verizon $100 credit towards a new phone with my plan and I see that this one at the store is $199 -$50 rebate, ($149) so I should be gertting it for $49.

:)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Dave,

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you contract is up with Verizon, don't just take their first offer. Call and tell them you are wanting to cancel, and you will get the "Retention" department. Tell them you can get a newer, nicer phone, with a better plan from another carrier, and see what they will offer. They might give you the phone you want for a new contract. Or, a nicer one.

If you don't like their offer, just hang up, and go with what you were going to do anyway. But, always talk to retention!

Users who are viewing this thread