What's new

I need a MacGuffin (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I'm outlining a possible new screenplay idea, and in order to make it click, I need a MacGuffin. (If you don't know what one is, do a search.)

What I want is an object that is very rare, valuable, and one that people would kill for. It could be virtual (such as information -- such as the NOC list in Mission: Impossible), but if it's something physical, it should be small and portable, ideally pocketsized.

Any suggestions? Best suggestion gets to name a character!

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Since it could be virtual/information, and you want it pocket-sized, why not a zip disk, flash memory stick, PCMCIA harddrive card or something similar?
Edit: In fact, I can give you something more specific. A collegue of mine showed me a USB flash drive just today, and these things are very sleek.
http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/249

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I've asked this question of quite a few people, and I'm getting a lot of suggestions leaning toward "computer media." The USB flash drive does look very cool (however, the review is in jiberrish to me), so I might use that, rather than an optical or zip disk.

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

Luc D

Second Unit
I suppose it all depends on the tone you wish the film to have. Is meant to be "tongue in cheek" (briefcase in Pulp Fiction for instance), or are we meant to take the object seriously (like the NOC list)?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
If your story supports it, how about a very effective plate for making counterfeit money. Those could be two very small dollar bill sized units.

Of course, one of the easiest would be to be some kind of keycard or key for a lockbox. That lockbox could contain millions while the item would be no larger than a key.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Ideally the McGuffin should be something that's important to the characters not just to drive the plot but as an element of who they are as people. Look at it from that angle before just picking something indiscriminately

MichaelAW

Second Unit
It is meant to be serious. Right now, I'm leaning toward using a disc with information vital to the future of a company, such as something that would run it out of business if it was released to the public/a competitor.

Thanks for the ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks