What's new

I need a little help choosing a 32" analog (1 Viewer)

Jael

Agent
Due to some budgetary priorities I'm going to get a cheap set to replace my old panasonic 27" that just gave out on me. Despite this being a dreaded "interim" set I'm not flexible on the $550 post tax pricetag so 16X9 and HDTV are not a possibility at this time. With this said here are my considerations:
1. Samsung TXL3276. My local sears has this model on closeout for $478. I like the easy access on the remote for the compression mode (16X9 raster collapse) and I've heard no complaints about it's image quality thus far. I do have a small concern about it's single comb filter vs the 3 comb filters of other sets. Is this an issue?
2. I'm open to the competition if others on this board feel strongly about their superiority to the Samsung set and the road to their 16X9 mode is not too laborious. IE. JVC, Toshiba, etc...
3. My living room is not small so I eliminated the Samsung 27" flat (Although I liked the 91's image quality ----Did they reduce the resolution on the 90? Looked pretty bad ----). So 32" analogs is where I sit.
I do plan to purchase a widescreen HDTV in a few years when grad school is finished and the prices drop, at that point this TV will become a bedroom set. Until then I will suffer in analog purgatory dreaming of the digital world;).
Thanks to any input you can give I've greatly appreciated everything I've learned from reading the insights of the members of this board...
Edit Sears has only the floor model samsung for 431.97. I am now open to any 32" analog suggestions with the above considerations in mind

Jael

Agent
No American TV nearby, but I've go BB, circuit city, Cost Co and Sears right around the corner. Are there more people out there like me who need something to hold them over until they can afford make the plunge into HDTV land. Should I be sacrificing size for quality? Have others chosen to go 27" flat instead of 32" curved screen?

TimG

Second Unit
I am in kind of the same boat. I like the Sony's, but for that kind of money I might as well spend a couple hundred more and get the Samsung HDTV. I like the analog Samsung, but I don't know if I can get used to a tv with that much curve in the screen again. We have a 27" sony that wasn't a flat screen, but it was damn close that we have used for the last 8 years. I wish Samsung would come out with a 32" flat screen analog. I really like the squeeze mode on the remote without having to go through the service menu, and it is a must for my wife. :) I can't believe more companies haven't jumped all over that option. Although the longer it takes me to decide the more money is being saved, so there is a plus to it all.
Tim

Jael

Agent
I think a 32" flat, analog, sammy would be down my ally too right about now. I haven't been able to find any of the analog Samsungs around due to the new models on the horizon. Best Buys only got the 27" flat with the awful 600 line resolution (I've been looking for the TXL2791F but I guess I'll have to wait for the 92 model). Does anyone know what other big stores might carry the Samsung lines in the Bay Area? My Sears only has a floor model of the 32" curved screen sammy. I suppose I can hold off till the new models come out but life with these 19" screens around is killing my dvd joy (not to mention making my 5.1 setup downright inappropriate:)).

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jael, I highly recommend the 32" JVC D-series TV. I bought mine from Circuit City for $499 after a $50 gift certificate they give you for purchasing this TV. It has an awesome picture and the screen isn't curved too bad. It can also do the anamorphic squeeze via the service menu too.

I'd say it's one of the best 32" TVs under $600!!

Jael

Agent
Thanks for your input. I had pretty much sold myself on the Samsung line but it seems to have sold out completely in my area. I was going to wait for the next models to come out but maybe I'll give those JVC's a look. How much work does it take to do the "squeeze"?

Larry F.

Agent
IF you have a Sam's Club nearby check the JVC 32260. $469 at Sam's. The clone of the Samsung 2791 (AKAI 2790) is there also for $349 but I had 2 in my home both exhibited problems for me the first one had an annoying "flashing" I could not get rid of and turned some stuff purple. Repair guy scratched his head and offered to take it in and put parts in for 2 weeks, 2nd one had gorgeous picture but sound went out (very distorted) about a week into it. My take is the Samsung quality control is very suspect or they are useing the Akai distributor to unload seconds. So the second set was traded for the JVC. Nice set but I think my family room may be too small for it, I actually enjoyed the AKAI better (if and when it worked correctly). The JVC was the best 32" I saw (especially with cost figured in). Sam's also had the 36" version for $699.

TimG

Second Unit
I wonder if Samsung has better quality control in their HDTV ready sets, there are numerous people with them and I haven't seen any problem posts at all with these? I am still impressed with them,(Samsung), they have come a long way. I wish the JVC's had the "squeeze" so you didn't have to enter the service mode. Kind of a deal killer for me. Though they do look good also.

Tim

Larry F.

Agent
Not sure....I have a Samsung 1491 (little bro to the 2791) and it's a very nice set, I also use a Samsung 19" flat screen monitor and it's great. Not sure why the 2 27"sets were bad but I got gun shy after boxing and carrying 2 100+ lb sets in and out of Sam's. FWIW I've tried the "squeeze on the AKAI and on the JVC and I really can't see much if any difference in either set.

Jael

Agent
FWIW I've tried the "squeeze on the AKAI and on the JVC and I really can't see much if any difference in either set.
Larry, do you mean you can't see much of a difference between the two sets squeeze modes or do you mean you can't tell much of a difference from regular dvd watching? I don't have a Sams Club nearby but Circuit City is having a $50 gift certificate on the JVC 32D302 making my balanced costs $500 plus tax. I'm going to go take a look tonight.

Larry F.

Agent
Sorry.....Can't see much if any difference using squeeze mode on either set. I think I see a tiny bit more sharpness in "squeeze" but honestly if you blindfolded me and put in a DVD and didn't tell me what mode the set was in I don't think I could tell.
Overall I'm mostly happy with the JVC but it's not as crisp as I thought it would/should be. I really did like the AKAI better. This JVC goes through this "blocky" look looks like not enough variation in color tone from time to time. It could be the broadcast or the set. Next time I see it I'm going to check out my Sanyo. Sad I have to use a 14 yo set to benchmark a new one of supposedly such higher quality. :frowning:
Basically the AKAI seemed to have a puncier picture, the JVC is just leaving me flat. Lke I said though it may be the s%^tty cable service I have as I notice some channels (the ones I have no interest in watching like QVC, CNN, etc.) show a gorgeous picture. Jury is still out.

Jael

Agent
Well, I checked out the JVC at Circuit City and I didn't get it. I still have a hard time with that silver casing, so when I couple that with the service menu squeeze mode I figure I can hold out until the next Samsung model. I did read, after my CC visit however, that some of the other JVC's (not the D series) use the same chasis and video components but simply have a different sound system. It was the JVC 32260 & 32230, so for those who, like me, use a HT setup check up the specs and see if you can save a buck or two (they also have black casing so I'll give them one more look.)

I do think I can simply wait for the next Sammy's though, after all I've got this beautiful 12 year old 19" filling the void until then!

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know any websites that tell you how to do the squeeze via service menu?I have a Panny Superflat.

Jael

Agent
To anyone who's interested... I contacted Samsung and they finally let it break that their new TXM lines should be fully released on July 17th. I'm going to hang on until then.

Thanks for all of the input, it's been very helpful.

Larry F.

Agent
The set I saw was labeled as a TXM2792 however it appeared to be a TXM2790. I believe it was mislabeled. Meantime I was at Sam's and they have the AKAI 2791 (equivalent to the Samsung 2792) for $379. American is also selling the 36" Samsung (regular tube) with dual tuner pip and bells and whistles for $699 but the tube is way too bulbous for my tastes.
The product I saw I've kind of gone gaga over is a new Toshiba 32" called the "cinema Series". semi flat but great picture, and very nice features $629. I may dump the JVC i got for this as it seems to blow it and the Samsung away.
Larry

Jael

Agent
Just wanted to follow through on this thread as I have bought a television.

I got the JVC36D302. I was just stopping in at Circuit City and they had the 36" 302 for $670 b/c they had the new 303 model in for $800. It was a good price and the right moment. This will keep me sated for a few years when I'll be ready for the hdtv indulgence. I'll let you know how I like it when I've had it around for a bit.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

P.S.
Larry, I'll be keeping my eye on the JVC's "crispness" and let you know how it strikes me. Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks