What's new

I need a Home Theater Suggestion (1 Viewer)

CarlWill

Auditioning
I just purchased a new HDTV Sony KP65WS510 with is 65" of pure pleasure but my only problem is that I have no "home theater" to compliment the TV.

I am not some uber sound guy that has to have some crazy enclosed system and ultra high end gear. I just would like someone who knows the market so recommend a brand or home theater package I should check out. I take my DVD with me to Best Buy and everything they have sounds great so it's so hard to tell in the store since it's so open and loud.

I am starting to think that Sony is more name brand than quality but I don't really know what I am talking about.

I know this is a hard question to answer but any advice or point in the right direction would help. I listed my TV above and here are some other factors that would help.

- Matches my TV's cosmetic style (silver)
- Main speakers are long or on vertical stands to project the sound.
- Budget = $300 - $600'ish
- I have title floor in my home.
- Can be turned on loud with out cracking sounds in speaker

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

There are many sources of such packages. One I know is Cambridge Soundworks, hifi.com. Their gear has good value for the $ spent. As I remember it they've got full packages starting in the $800 range.

If you really must stay below $500 then I'd suggest the receiver + two speakers approach for now and then add on to that as time goes on.

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are respectable pakcages out there in your price range. Maybe go to one of the other forums and start a new post for specific makes and model suggestions.

CarlWill

Auditioning
Dick

The room does not open in to another room. It's just a square room. I have nothing but my TV so you're correct about me not having anything.

I am looking for a surround sound setup but have no idea what 5.1 or 6.1 does for me. I guess this questions is more complciated than I thought and may end up getting stuck with a crap system but I really am just lost and don't want to just go and get what they have in stock. It's sad but I tend to judge the quality of the product by price...the higher the price, the better the product. I have found that this is not always the case when it comes to some labels like sony and their car head units.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Among the HTiB's (Home Theaters in a Box) out there, the Onkyo versions are well respected and under/around $500. Don't know about the color, most of them are black/charcoal, but they are good performers for the price.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Carl -- Indeed there are a number of companies that make these and I agree with Jeff, Onkyo is a good brand. Panasonic and Toshiba are two others that make gear of that type for that kind of price. If you want an all-in-one, all-at-once solution theirs will work. Just go to their web sites and look for home theater systems and pick something by price.

However, I'll stand by my comment that a system in this range isn't going to do your TV justice but its your eyes and ears that will be the judge and not mine. "Your mileage may vary."

Regardless of what you do I'd strongly recommend #1 reading the FAQ/primer here and #2 do some research to see how happy buyers have been with the system(s) you're considering (just google search the make/model and look for reviews).

Dave=Jones

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo 6.1 HTiB setup and it's PERFECT for my use and price range. I paid around 450 for it at Circuit City (which i think now has the 7.1 at the same price) Anyways, it has numerous hookups on it, 1000watts, 220watt subwoofer and with some tuning sounds awesome!

I'd go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks