What's new

I need a good shop-vac (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
We are getting our house re-roofed over the next several days and the dust and debris is getting everywhere. The garage is a disaster according to my wife. Help me out with a good brand, not one that sucks :) (pun intended)

Peace Out~:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a 20 gallon(?) craftsman that works great at a reasonable price. Hell, if you lived closer you could borrow mine
If you are going to use it a lot, get the extended warranty. If mainly for the 1 job, dont bother. They get beat up and sears will give you a new one no questions asked.
My wife once dunked a phone I bought at sears which I had bought under the extended warranty.
They gave me a new one and because it was on sale, they gave me $20. They impressed me on that one.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I have a Rigid 12 gallon vac from Home Depot and love it. Two weeks ago, my washer died in the middle of a wash cycle. I had to repair it, and needed some way of getting the existing soapy water out of the machine. I turned my vac on and shoved the hose down into it - sucked that water up like it was nothing. I had to empty it halfway through (there was about 20 gallons of water in the machine at the time), but it worked great.

I was amazed. This is my first shop vac and was also the first time I sucked up any liquids with it. I figured the motor would strain and whine but it didn't complain once.

I've (of course) used it all over the garage to suck up anything and everything, and have been very pleased with it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ryan, I've been eyeing up that exact model. It has the same specs as a Craftsman for $10 less. Plus, I am not real close to a Sears, where HD is just blocks away. I'm headed there tonight to check'em out.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Craftsman is the way to go! They'll last forever. Picks up, dust, staples, nails spectacularly. Last year I had a sewer backup in the basement and it was a godsend. Sucked all that water and "other stuff" right up.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The 12 gallon was a nice size for me. Fits well in my garage, etc. I've only had mine since November, but I've used it to suck up all sorts of debris. Dust, dirt, wood shavings, small chunks of wood, plexiglass, urethane foam and fiberglass particles from my hovercraft construction, and of course the water from my washing machine. It has given me no problems.

It's also really light. Weighs much less than I expected it would. I also like that all of the attachments have storage places right on the vac.

My only complaint, if I had one, would be the plastic hose. It's too rigid (no pun intended) and doesn't flex as easily as I'd like. I was expecting a hose more flexible (like you find on regular vaccumn cleaners). Still, it works just fine and I don't consider the hose issue anything other than an occasional annoyance. I suspect most vacs have identically stiff hoses.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend the Craftsman vacs as well. These things really do a number on both water and dirt and last forever. I just bought my father a new model with a larger diameter hose and capacity (16 gal. if I recall) recently, but his older Craftsman is still going strong after more than 15 years. These are a must for homeowners.

J

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys. For better or for worse, I picked up the Rigid 12gal./5 hp model at the Depot. Gave it a test run last night and wow, very powerful. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. There is no Sears in my general area so I'd have to drive and pay $10 more for a Craftsman.

Now, I just have to wait until the roofers are done. The garage is a disaster. Shingle she-it everywhere. A huge mess.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also got the Rigid from Home Depot after needing one to clean up all the glass from my car window that shattered for some unknown reason. And boy, does that Rigid suck glass!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned in the other shop-vac obsession thread, I got a rigid- and it's a good vac- but in retrospect it's a bit bulky. So I bought a smaller shopvac brand one for more stealth missions. ;)

Vince

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I bought mine, I got this little bitty cordless handi-vac that came with the package. A "$30 Value!" :D

DaveMcS

Second Unit
hooo yah...

Gotta love ALL THOSE SPLINTERS OF WOOD that get everywhere...plus there ALWAYS extra roofing nails getting where they shouldnt be...and nevermind the odd shingle bits.

That said you, couldnt pay me to work up there in this weather. God love those roofing contractors !!

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I always forget about the liquid-sucking capabilities of my Shop-Vac. Maybe I'll use it to get the unused gasoline out of my snowblower at the end of the season.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! :wink:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Do any of the Rigid or Craftsman shop vacs have a tool trigger?

As a wood worker a tool trigger certainly would come in handy but so far I have only found them on the Porter-Cable vacs, which unfortunately are very expensive.

Any information would be appreciated.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I always forget about the liquid-sucking capabilities of my Shop-Vac. Maybe I'll use it to get the unused gasoline out of my snowblower at the end of the season.
Mark,

I would probably just siphon as much gas as you can first before using the shop vac. The gasoline may dirty and leave odors for a long time in your vac, especially if you are sucking out a gallon or so.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks