I need a good Resume program???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David McGough, Dec 29, 2004.

1. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Does anyone know of one I can download to use.
    Im also heading to Best Buy. Is there a fee one/
    Is anything free??
    Tks
    David

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I don't know resume programs, but if you search the forum you'll find past threads on writing resumes. They might be helpful or maybe even recommend a program.

3. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I use microsoft word. If you need ideas for layouts and content go to the library they have tons of books with samples, techniques, layouts, etc. etc. I wouldnt waste any money on a "program" you should tailor YOUR resume to highlight your abilities and experience. [​IMG]

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I would use word and buy a Resume/Cover Letter book. I have talked to Martin Yate, author of the "Knock 'Em Dead" series, and he's good some good products. When I took a class in college that hit this topic, one of the things we were chastized for was using basic templates and not making ours unique, downplaying important aspects because they weren't the most important in the template.

5. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the above. A good word processing program is all you need to create your resume. The important thing is to make sure that the content and style that you decide to use are appropriate to the field and position to which you're applying.

In general for anything business or IM related (marketing included) - keep it concise and stylistically simple. It should be very clean, organized, and the reader should be able to get the gist of your accomplishments, etc. within 2 to 3 minutes of reading.

I recommend white paper with no unnecessary decorations, bullet lists, Times Roman (or other easy to read font), minimal use of italics (but smart use of bolds), and clean section breaks (experience, education, etc.) If you've been out of school for less than 4 years or have not received 3 or 4 significant promotions over the course of your career, make sure that you can keep the resume to one page. Two pages can be used if you're a "manager" level or above and have had more than 4 significant positions.

For graphic design or something artsier. - the guidelines above won't hurt because the proof of your ability with be in your portfolio. Your resume doesn't need to show off your design or art skills, but it does need to tell them very quickly and concisely why you're worth further attention.

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

So is the title a question, or statement? And I would also modify one of the templates in Word.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i thought the same thing. why offer so much help if he's not sure if he needs a program or not? [​IMG]

CJ

8. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Thanks for the Ideals. My wife who has taught for 18 years is looking to broaden her life. Im behind her and just wanting to
    help her get started. Ive told her not to many 48K jobs out there with summers off and spring and xmas holidays.
    But if Mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

In my topic heading I was stateing my needs with a question mark asking for ideal's. Should have worded different but I think folks got the jest of what I was asking.

9. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

If you havent found 1 yet go to www.download.com
    and do a advanced search for free software..

They are loaded with all kinds of software.

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Office templates from the microsoft website look fine. Get a decent book from the library on what to include.

Done and done.

-V