What's new

I need a good program to block pop-ups (1 Viewer)

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that I could download that would block all those annoying pop-ups.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like popup stopper. get it at www.panicware.com.
it's worked perfectly on my 98 and nt boxes.
however, i think it may be causing me scripting errors on my xp box. i haven't bothered disabling scripting in IE yet, so i'm not sure if that's the deal.
for my xp box i'm using something called adsgone (or something like that). not sure of the name, but it's pretty good. much more flexible, but i think it'll cost me if i wanna keep it.
once it expires i'll go back to popup stopper and do some tweaking.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
You could always download Mozilla. It's a pretty standards-compliant browser that has an option to disable pop-ups. After comparing it to IE with one of the many pop-up blockers installed, I found that Mozilla did a much better job. Plus there's the added bonus of less security holes than IE.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I use panicware on 2 XP machines (in addition to a couple of W2k machines), one a laptop (XP Pro), one a desktop (XP Home). Neither has any problems.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
And i like it how you dont havge to setup a list file, it just blocks whatever, and you can just hold Ctrl or Shift to disable it when youre opening a wanted Popup

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've used AdSubtract for quite a while now. I really like the way that it allows me to block popups, banners, background music (as well as a bunch more stuff if I want) as well as customize my preferences for different domains (I have no idea if the other programs allow for this or not).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I tried adsubtact, but i didnt knowhow to disable the popup-killer when there was a popup i DID want to show

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Under the filters tab, just add the domain name, highlight it, and clear the popup checkbox under "annoyances".

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've tried a few based on recommendations in other similar threads have was not satisfied with any of them. A program where I first have create a list of sites to block before it does anything is near useless in my mind.
I found a program called Guard-IE which has worked just about as well as I'd want. It blocks all popups unless I use open new window, hold down ctrl, turn off the popup block from it's toolbar, or click on it twice. You can give any site full freedom to popups like others (but some sites have popup ads galore, but still have a window you need to open so you don't want it just on or off all the time as suggested in the last post).
Plus there's options to preview popups instead of blocking them all together (shows the window for 2 seconds and then closes it), and other options for privacy control like controling your cookies, temp files, scripts, etc.
I don't even think about popups anymore. A thing of the past. The only thing I'd wish for was a way so that a clicked link will open up a single new window without needing user input to do so. (EDIT: Just got the latest version which has this feature).
http://www.guardwall.com

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Chimera, Mozilla, and Omniweb are the way to go in OS X. You can set the function to only allow popups to load if it is a direct result of a link or eliminate them entirely. I didn't even realize how prevalent they were until I began toying around with the HiPix again on my HTPC.

I tried popup stopper on my HTPC a few months ago, but I found it was so restrictive that it wouldn't load the popups I needed. Perhaps the other one mentioned will help out. Thanks.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am trying popup stopper too, but it does affect places like the HTF which opens links in new windows. At least the free version does. The pay version supposedly is more robust. I checked out alot of the other links around here and most of them seem like they're for IE. Is there any free ones that work with Netscape 4.79 that doesn't prevent links that are clicked on from opening in a new window but does prevent popup ads from opening? it's not really worth it for me to pay for something like this. I've never really bothered with popup killers but thought now we might get better robust versions that are free... I'm real soon gonna uninstall popup stopper because of that...

Jay

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
jay - are you holding the control or shift key down? that's all you need to do to tell popupstopper to bypass that event. it's not a perfect app, but for free, it's definitely the best i've found.

also, for me it does not block normal links. it sounds like you're using netscape, so i'm not sure about that.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, I know you hold down the CTRL key to allow a popup. But I find it hindering me much more often than helping me. If I go to File->New->Navigator Window it literally blocks that from happening if I don't use the CTRL key!!! There's only a few websites that I know that use popups, one of them (www.cnn.com) is easily avoided using robots.cnn.com :) Only occasionally I wind up at one of those free webhosting places or message forums that seem to be way overdone on the popups. I am using Netscape 4.79. If I wanted to block ALL popups, I can simply turn Javascript off. Javascript is buggy anyway..
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks