What's new

I need a Flat Screen TV! Help me out! (1 Viewer)

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
I'm asking all the experts/videophiles/tv freaks out there...what TV should I buy?
I have limited space in my room, so my target size is a flat screen 20''.
I want one with: S-Video and Velocity Scan Modulation, 3-Line Digital Comb Filter, audio enhancements and VERY CRISP CLEAR picture quality.
I'm willing to pay as much as $400-450 for it. Maybe more...
Can anyone tell more which are the best picture quality and have the most features? (I'm leaning toward Sony's...)
Thank you!
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Danny, I'd look at the Panasonic 20SX11 (or 10?) and the Toshiba 20AF41 as well as the Sony models. I bought a Toshiba mainly because I got it fairly inexpensively ($270) and I didn't see the advantage to spending another $120 or so on the top Sony 20 inch model. Although it has its minor problems, it is a nice tv after calibration. From the number of people I've heard from regarding the tv, geometry woes seem to be the biggest problem (I fixed mine via the service menu) but this seems to be true in general of all flat tube models across manufacturers.
good luck,
--tom

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend the 20" Sony Wega...
Sony Wegas are very user friendly: easy menu, great remote, no bullshit. Velocity scan modulation is our worst enemy, but w/ the Sony, it can be turned off. Get back to me if you buy one; I'll walk you thru some serious tweaks.
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

[Edited last by Chuck C on November 06, 2001 at 06:36 PM]

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Chuck and Thomas. I appreciate your advice. I'll let you guys know soon...
wink.gif

------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys...I got a new TV!
I purchased a Sony 27'' WEGA Trinitron Color TV for $527.00 with internet price matching at Sears! The KV-27FS13 Model. The reason I went for the bigger one was b/c this one has the 16:9 Enhanced mode which I was totally fascinated with! (I've used it 6+ times already since Saturday).
So now, I just was wondering what settings I should use for the tv. It looks awesome...
Thanks for all your help!
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really sure, you can check it out here. As far as I know, it just has more features.
You can check the KV-27FS17 out here:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer.../kv27fs17.html
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

James D

Second Unit
The only real difference between the FS-13 and the FS-17 is that the FS-17 gives you 2 tuner picture in picture. The top of the line in the 27" models is the FV-17. This set has the 2 tuner PIP as well as a better comb filter and a better sound system(the speakers are mounted on the side as opposed to the bottom). The better comb filter is irrelevant when watching DVDs because it gets bypassed. Enjoy your new set. :)

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you James...I did not know about that, but I'm pleased since I use my television mostly for DVDs!
Now to repeat my question...does anybody have a website dedicated to tweaking these babies up?? I've heard people say the velocity scan modulation can actually DAMAGE your set. Is it true?
Thank you!!
Dan
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!
[Edited last by Danny Knapp on November 13, 2001 at 02:06 AM]

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful about using the service mode!! You could royally screw up your TV.
I think you were more interested in the adjustments in the menus. You need to pick up a copy of a calibration DVD (Avia or Video Essentials) which will step you through setting it up properly.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Okay Danny, welcome to the club!
Here are some key adjsutments you need to make:
wega calibration
I haven't made a webpage for it yet, but you also need to adjust for oversqueeze in 16:9 mode and uneven brightness. E-mail me if you want the steps; I gotta go to bed now, and it takes a bit to explain, plus you should familiarize yourself with the service menu first.
take care
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

[Edited last by Chuck C on November 13, 2001 at 11:33 PM]

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
Oh wow...thanks for all the info...I gotta be careful with this service mode...
I turned axpl=0 and axnt=0 (axnt was already 0)
I did notice that red was reduced a bit...thankfully! I'm not sure if i want to edit much else...I get alittle nervous touching things in those menus!!
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!
[Edited last by Danny Knapp on November 15, 2001 at 12:25 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks