1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

I need a DVD player with excellent video....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Frank_S, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I want to buy a DVD player that has excellent video, I don't want or need DVD-Audio or SACD, just a solid DVD player with the best video reproduction. I currently have a Toshiba SD-5109(1st generation)and Toshiba TW40x81 RPTV.

What player would you recommend? I am only interested in buying a new player, I don't want to purchase a used one. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

You should get the Denon DVD-1600. It has excellent picture quality and excellent sound for the price range it is in.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Look for a player with a Faroudja Chip, I believe the sign for that on a player is iDOC (something like that)

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I'm considering the Philips 963SA, I would rather have SACD than DVD-Audio. The downside to the Philips is that the transport "clicks" fairly loud, although I have'nt had the chance to check 1 out yet for myself yet. I also read that the "Tomorrow Never Dies" DVD causes the Philips to show the multi-angle icon throughout the entire movie and you can't get rid of it. I had this same problem with my Toshiba SD-5109 but if I turned the unit off and restarted the DVD, it worked fine.

Any thoughts on the Philips 963SA? [​IMG]

5. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

The Philips 963SA has no open/close button on the remote, it has a very complex menu/setup screen, and its glitchy.

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I don't care about the open/close feature but could you explain the "Glitchy" issue, that bothers me. [​IMG]

7. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Denon 3800 or the new 5900 if you can pony up the cash. The 3800 (discontinued but amazing if you can find it) uses the pure progressive silicon image chip, while the 5900 i think will be using the faroudja DCDi chip.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The 5900 uses the Silicon Image de-interlacer, not the Faroudja DCDi.

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The 5900 has the best pic I have seen yet. (and Ive seen alot)

10. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

The Denon DVD-5900 has Faroudja deinterlacing and scales through its DVI output, but that is irrelevant for your TV. It is a universal player. The MSRP on the 5900 is also about $2000.

The Denon DVD-2900 uses the Silicon Image deinterlacer and produces a great progressive picture. It does have the alt-flag issue. It is a univeral player and lists for about $1000. Denon also has the 2200 universal player which looks like it probably has the same video section as the 2900. It goes for $600 or so.

The Denon 1600 is no longer being produced, but if you can find one it uses the Faroudja DCDi chip and has the same MPEG decoder found in the Panasonic RP82. You can still find it around for $300 to $400, although it is getting scarce so you may have to buy used.

For what it's worth, I have the Panasonic RP82 (essentially the same deinterlacing/video performance of the Denon 1600 according to the guys at Secrets) and the Denon 2900 hooked up to my Toshiba TW65X81, which is I believe the bigger version of your TV. I think either produces a terrific picture and that you would be happy with either.

11. Jon_Miller

Jon_Miller Auditioning

At this point in my life, I cannot justify paying over $300 for a DVD player.

12. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

See my post here

13. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

What model LiteOn DVD player did you get? I have a mitsubishi HDTV.

14. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

The LVD-2001

15. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I keep seeing alot of posts about the Liteon, Jeff. One member even said it performed better than the Panasonic RP-91. I have a hard time believing it, but so many different people are extolling its virtues, I just might have to try one.

DJ