I need a DVD player but it must have these capabilities:

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rolando, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hi,

I want to get a new DVD player but I really want it to have certain capabilities. I guess I have been spoiled by the unexpected versatility of my Malata N996.

I initially got the Malata just for being region free and being able to do PAL to NTSC. However I have discovered so many cool features on it.

I want a DVD player that can zoom in slowly. on 3 zoom settings like X2, X4 and X8 or something. But most importantly I want to be able to ZOOM OUT! I love this feature to help compensate for any overscan. I also want to be able to PAN. Again on the Malata I can Zoom-out to compensate for overscan but I can also pan left or right as sometimes there is more overscan on left or right so I can really move the image around.

I also want a player with enough "buffer" I guess to avoid that pause during layer switches. DVD players have been around over 7-8 years now, this should be mandatory on ALL of them.

Now if can be region free and to PAL to NTSC that would be bonus but worse case scenarion the Malata will still do.

Actually if I get a new region free player I would like one with pitch control to be able to compensate for PAL speed up. does such a player exist?

obviously ability to play VCDs, SVCDs and DVD-Rs is a must as well.

Suggestions please!

2. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Forgot to mention, also want a player with more than 2 FF speads as well as slow-mo.

Current player does X2, X4, X8 then X20 but the coolest part is that beside the usual pause/step I can slow down the movie to 1/2 speed as well as 1/4, 1/8 and my favorite 1/20.

3. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Wow!

Maybe I asked wrong?

I would really appreciate some suggestions.

At the same time a "must have" feature is the fact that it converts all signal to fit the 16:9 TV. it will letter box or pillar box as needed. When it is a 4:3 program it automatically creates black sidebars so the TV thinks it is getting a 1.78 image so the "pic size" stays on full AND it does not create grey bars.

Any players out there besides my Malata that has all these features?

Thanks for any help in advance.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Rolando, asking a question like this is tantamount to asking someone to do your high school/college homework for you. You obvously know what you want, and you DO have Internet access. Do a search for DVD players with advanced features and you may get some hits. I personally don't know of any players that will do everything you ask. Does your Malata do all that? If so, just buy another one; I think you are asking alot here.[​IMG]

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Cool.

I guess it does seem that way then. Sorry then. Just figured I would ask in case someone knew a lot off hand.

Yes the Malata N996 I have does all that as well as region free and NTSC to PAL conv. I have had it for about 5 years and I cannot seem to find a new one anymore. I guess I could get it fixed but figured I might be better off just getting a new player.

Like I said I figures someone might know off hand like if someone else had asked the same question I would have answered with a suggestion for the Malata (assuming they did not have one of course).

Sometimes people have asked if a TV out there does 540p and I happened to know from owning a 34HFX84 that at least that CRT did do that.

I have done some searches but you never know with description. after all when I bought my Malata it did not specify all these features and I was very surprised and happy. Figured someone out there might know of another such player.

My Malata does about all I have mentioned exception for the smooth layer switch. not more noticeable than my other players (Pioneer) but hoping to find a player that does it well.

Again sorry guys if it sounded like I was being lazy and just asking to be walked through with no work on my part. Been looking into it and figured who else but the HTF would be able to help with a quich answer?

I'll keep looking.

Thanks.