I need a CD-RW/DVD drive....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Can you recommend a combo CD-RW/ DVD drive? I need one that is inexpensive, I'm hoping to hold of a new PC purchase for a few months with this. Any good tutorials on adding a new drive as well?
    -Andre F

2. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Andre
    look here,
    CDRLabs, and here,CDR-Info, for product reviews.
    Then go hereTweak3D for install guide
    Greg

3. Paul Spurgeon

The Lite-On company has been getting rave reviews for their newest CD-RW drives. There is a 40x/12x/48x that you can order for $69 from newegg.com , and the 48x/12x/48x version is $97.. this is the fastest CD-RW available today.. it burns a full CD in 2:10 or so if your processor can keep up!
    As for putting in the drive, there will be instructions that come with the drive. All in all, you basically just have to make sure you discharge yourself of static electricity before touching anything in the computer, and everything else is cake.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Whoops, thanks Ken!
    -Andre F

6. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I purchased an LG Electronics drive that I am happy with. The drive performs well but what really stands out is the company's support.

I bought it and installed the drive on a Windows XP machine. The included OEM versions of EZ CD Creator and Direct CD were not versions compatible with XP (I know XP has built-in burning but prefer the 3rd party apps). I emailed the company about this and asked if updates were available. They replied saying they are working on new versions and would let me know when they become available. Sure enough, a few weeks later I received an email saying new versions were ready and they asked for my mailing address. A week later, the new software arrived as promised.

I guess that is way things should work but it seems lately that good support and kept promises are hard to find.

-Keith