I need a amp guru

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul lixonoar, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Paul lixonoar

Paul lixonoar Auditioning

System : CD Players : Denon DCD-725 or Denon DCD-820
    HI FI Amplifier : Denon PMA - 525 R
    Surround Amp / Receiver : Onkyo TX-SR600
    B&W DM 602 Speakers

Problems:

1) I have just bought Onkyo TX-SR600. How good is this Surround Ampat playing a tune compared to my Denon PMA - 525 R?

2) How much of a stereo performance increase would I expect if I aded the Amplifier (Denon PMA - 525 R) to my system?

3) How do I connect the Amplifier Denon PMA - 525 R to the Surround Amp / Receiver Onkyo TX-SR600 ?

4) Are there any good links that explain this subject?

5) CD Players : Denon DCD-725 or Denon DCD-820 . Which is the best?

Thanks in advance

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i'm pretty sure that your onkyo doesn't have all cheannel preouts. so, i don't think you can hook up an external amp.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, welcome to the Forum. Jason is right in that the Onkyo 'SR600 has no pre-amp outputs. So, you can connect the Denon amp to power your front right and left channels. Thus, you could not incorporate the Denon amp for stereo music.

Very often, a dedicated stereo amp will beat a comparably priced home-theater receiver for music. I have not used your Denon amp is, but it could be better than the Onkyo receiver for music. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to test them out.