I need a 5-disc CD player for $300-800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jody C Robins, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to upgrade my CD player (don't ask) and have decided that I want a 5 disc changer. I definitely don't want a single or jukebox. However, I have not decided whether SACD is worth it or not. So, I guess I'm looking for CD player suggestions and SACD pro and con votes. Beccause I'm unsure about SACD, my price range is a little wide, from $300-800. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as CD players aren't commonly discussed here. Thanks.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

There's a Sony 5-disc carousel with SACD for $350 or so. That's right at the bottom of your budget, so you might as well get the SACD, right?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jody, Richard is referring to the Sony SCD-CE775 five-disc SACD/CD changer, which Best Buy and Circuit City sell for $350. It plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. However, if you want an excellent CD changer and are willing to spend $800, then definitely look at the Sony SCD-C555ES. I bought one about a month ago and absolutely love it. It is built like a rock, as it weighs in at 24 lbs., 5 oz. It is simply a great changer in every respect. Check out www.crutchfield.com for more information. Note that Crutchfield sells it for $1200, which is the current retail price. However, Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), an authorized dealer, sells it for $800 delivered. I bought mine for $824 delivered from OneCall (1-800-340-4770), another authorized dealer.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'll second the SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD player.. Like Keith said (hi Keith!) it's built like a tank and it sounds better on regular redbook cd's than any other changer i've owned. I also bought from Oade Bros. They have the best deal going on this unit IMO. [​IMG]
    - Chip

5. Jody C Robins

I'll definitely check it out. Any other ideas? I've heard good things about Dennon.

6. Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon DCM-370, which can play HDCD, for about 2 years now. It's sound quality is pretty good, especially considering the price point, but the only problem is that it doesn't seem to be able to play a small amount of my CDs, especially my Sheffield Lab CDs. I don't know if this problem has been fixed since I bought it though.

Just my $0.02

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jody, I've had a Denon DCM-370 since October 2000. It's a nice changer for the $250 I paid. HDCD isn't a big deal in my opinion. In my experience, HDCD discs sound great on quality non-HDCD players. In any event, the '370 is a good changer for the price, but it isn't in the same league as Sony's ES SACD changers ('C555ES, 'C222ES, or 'C333ES). I am talking about the SACD changers as CD players here. SACD is in another league yet.

8. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony CA70ES for 300.00 and I LOVE it!!! Isn't a SACD player but how many of us listen to the limited choices of music available on SACD??? I don;t see Dave Matthews coming out on SACD anytime soon!

Mike

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I think you will find that those who have SACD players listen to SACDs quite a bit. Yes, I have nearly 1500 CDs and only 48 SACDs, but I find myself listening to those 48 SACDs quite a bit because I like the music and because the SACDs sound so much better than the CDs. Obviously there has to be music on SACD that interests you, but if there is, then I suggest delving into the format. Besides, Sony's ES SACD changers are much better CD players than the older ES carousel CD changers (though the SACD changers are more expensive). I replaced a CDP-CA80ES in one system with an SCD-C333ES and a 'CA80ES in another system with an SCD-C555ES, and the improvement in sound quality in going to the SACD changers was substantial.

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I second what others here are saying - you owe it to yourself, if you are going to spend between $300 - 800 to seriously consider one of the Sony SACD players.

They really are that good. Within your price range are the CE775, 222ES and the 555ES.

Good luck.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, the interesting thing is that there aren't too many choices when it comes to carousel changers for $500 and up. Obviously, changers are not considered to be audiophile players by many, so when you are talking about spending over $500, you are mainly looking at single-disc players. How many straight carousel CD changers (i.e., no DVD-Audio or SACD) for $500 or more are out there? You have the Rotel RCC-955 and that's about it. No Rotel dealer I've ever been to has even stocked the '855. Arcam used to make a changer (I don't think it was a carousel), but they stopped making it awhile ago. I'm not sure if Nakamichi's Music Bank changers are still in production. I also don't know if Anthem still makes a CD changer. They might. Otherwise, good companies like Denon, NAD, and Marantz make carousel CD changers, but they are all priced at $400 or less and don't represent anywhere near these manufacturers' best CD players. To my mind, that leaves the Sony ES SACD changers, which offer great build quality and great sound with CDs. So, one's choices for a good carousel CD changer price at $500 or more are limited, but the Sony ES units are excellent.

12. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Jody I can get you a real good deal on any Sony product. Before you buy just give me the model number you are looking at and I can beat any $... Just a thought if want to save 10% - 20% or maybe even more.
    - Balwinder
    [email protected]

13. Shawn McBride

Shawn McBride Stunt Coordinator

I've got the Denon CD changer and I wouldn't recommend it at all. I needed a new CD player with digital out earlier this year to replace my 10 year old (cheap) Sony CD carousel and got a really good deal on the Denon with some other equipment I purchased.
    My issues aren't really with the audio quality (though I haven't compared many CD players) but with the build quality and usability. Lot's of plastic in the tray mechanism. It's also noisy. No remote power. BRIGHT display. Functions on the remote aren't on the unit and vice versa. When spinning between disks it passes the selected disk up and has to come back. If you swap a disk while one's playing you can't just play the new one, no, you have to note the tray number, close the tray, wait, disk skip to the new CD tray, then hit play...
    I really miss my old Sony CD changer. [​IMG] It had usability nailed! I'm saving up right now for a new ES changer. Hopefully after the holidays...

14. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Dont forget California Audio Labs . Their changers are certainly not in the same league as the Denons, et al.
    No SACD though. Also out of the price range.
    The good news? I have over 100 posts! [​IMG]

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shawn,

As I said earlier in the thread, I own a Denon DCM-370, and I will always recommend it to someone looking for an inexpensive changer. However, I agree with you about many of its deficiencies. The tray is clunky, and I have found that the player will skip a disc that you select and then go back to load it every so often. I also agree that the display is too bright. The track number display is way too large and too bright. The remote is no great shakes either. Still, the player sounds good for $250.

Christian,

Cal Audio Labs discontinued the CL-10 awhile back. From what I have heard, they still have refurbished players available. I don't think they sell direct, however. Maybe dealers can still get them. I don't think new units are still available. Many consider the CL-10 to be the best-sounding carousel changer ever made. However, I read on Audio Asylum a few months ago that this player was known for reliability problems. A couple people mentioned it. Maybe this is why I have seen a fair number of refurbished units available for sale.

16. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

My vote would go to the Sony '333es.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago a Tweeter for $488.00.

This thing has great redbook cd sound. As far as sacd is concerned, I don't have any so I can't comment.

If you can find one for @$500.00 you won't be dissapointed.

Oh yeah, the '333es is a two channel player, the '222es and the '555 are multichannel, ie.. 5.1. So if you want multichannel sound disregard this post.

Thanks and good luck, Buy this stuff is fun eh?

Josh

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, you think you are happy with the 'C333ES now, wait until you get some SACDs! If you looking for some suggestions for good titles sonically (some SACDs are better than others, depending on the quality of the original master), you might want to post a message on the Music Area board. Just state your musical interests and some people will be able to make suggestions.

18. Jody C Robins

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It looks like the Sony 333ES and 555ES are the overwhelming favorites. I guess I just have to figure out whether or not I want multichannel SACD. Hmmmmmm... I'm thinking 2 channel would be fine for me. For those of you with multichannel SACD, what do you think? Is it worth the extra $500?

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Hmmmmmm... I'm thinking 2 channel would be fine for me. For those of you with multichannel SACD, what do you think? Is it worth the extra $500?"
    Extra $500.00? If your getting the 333ES for $300.00 i say buy it! lol.. I paid $800.00 for the 555ES and totally recommend it..no question. Multichannel SACD's sound incredible.. [​IMG]

20. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit