What's new

I need 5 speakers for $200 (1 Viewer)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for 5 sattelites for $200 MAX. I am looking for my brother who wants surround sound but can't really afford much. He has a subwoofer and reciever so I am just looking for the best 5 speakers I can get, just so he can get his feet wet with surround sound. He is always complaning that everything I show him is too big (WAF) so I really need sattelites. I haven't kept up with the market lately so I am looking for a litte advice on where to look.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a set of Point 5's and highly recommend them. Excellent woofer/tweeter for the price and a real cross-over, not capacitors. Only fault is plastic cabinets. But still sound nice.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

IMHO you cannot go wrong with the Velodyne Classic Home Theater Series 5-pc theater set. I have a set of them in my family room system and they do not really do any thing wrong...which is rare for a speaker set at the price you're looking for.

They take the power from my Parasound HCA-1205A -- 170 wpc into the Velodyne's 6 ohm impedance -- and ask for more; cranking out sound that is super-impressive for the price! :emoji_thumbsup:

Here's a very favorable review by Secrets' John Johnson:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-8-2000.html

Here's a link to buy the CHTS set directly from Velodyne for $159:

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...V&sid=412h786t

The only bogey with the $159 price is you have to get the white vinyl finish for the fronts/surrounds...the center is black though.

tony^v

Stunt Coordinator

WOW, can't beat that!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone ever compared some of the comperable Bose satellite sets to the HSU VT-12? I'm not in the market, but just curious if that $99 set (I guess, plus a $300 subwoofer) would outperform some of the $1000 Bose offerings?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I think that VT-12 set might fit the bill perfect. Someone on another board also pointed me twards Polk Audio RM6005 which can be had for less than $200(w/o sub). Since I don't need the sub either of these will pobably be a lot better than the stuff he was looking at. He found some phillips HTIB in which you get a reciever, sub, dvd player, and all speakers, which can be found on ebay in the 100 dollar range. He was going to keep the speakers and sell the other stuff :laugh:. This was the worst idea ever so I just had to jump in.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Almost anything that doesn't leave out chunks of the sound spectrum would most likely sound better. Just my bias though.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious. I think most people that buy Bose don't really notice chunks out of the sound spectrum until you show them an A/B comparison. What they do notice is that their system plays plenty loud for some small satellites. They tend to define 'better' differently than how most people here would define 'better.'

RyanJE

Second Unit
True. The exaggerated treble gives it that loud sound. Its funny how ive never seen any one on this forum whole heartedly defend Bose as with other makes. That should say something in and of itself. It would be nice if there were speakers that size that did actually produce a broad range... But it appears that size does and will continue to matter.

Michael.N

Auditioning
I would recommend getting 5 Infinty primus 150's. You can get 2 pairs deliverd from an authorized dealer for $240, then just order 1 single speaker from one of the other retailers that has them. In my mind this would blow away anything else you can get for $200-$300. The Infinity 150's are probably the best sub $200 speaker. If your going to get these speakers though make sure you get a sub to go with it as they have no real lower or mid bass. I just reread the original post and missed the part about wanting something small. In my opinion it would definitely be worth it to give a up a little in size to have a much better system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks