What's new

I narrowed the field to 4. Need input. (1 Viewer)

Gregory Maier

Auditioning
Buying a DVD Burner Help me choose!
I have decided to purchase a DVD Burner. After much research i have narrowed the field to 4 models. My primary goal is to back-up my personal DVD collection consisting of over 2500 DVD titles to protect the originals from damage (ie scratches etc). I will be purchasing the DVD X Copy Platnium by 3-2-1- Studios from the link on this site to promote your continued free access.

The 4 models i have to choose from are:

Plextor PX-708A
Sony DRU-510A
MSI DR4-A
Memorex 32023235

Any input that is constructive and helpful is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gregory A. Maier
P4 3.0 800FSB
2048Mb PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
Intel D865PERLK
eVGA GeForce FX 5600 256Mb AGP
Asus 16X DVD-Rom
Lite-on 52X24X52X CDRW
Iomega Zip250
MSI Master TV@nywhere
4 X Maxtor 120Gig HDD
(lots more....)

Cary_H

Second Unit
I'm not into backing up/burning DVDs, but have years of burning CDs behind me. Since you're asking, here's my take.
If it were me, Sony wouldn't be a consideration. I know they have a big following out there, but I am pretty much anti-Sony. If there are any programs out there that can get around protections, I'll bet the Sonys won't support it.

The Memorex is likely made for them by someone else, I know little about who MSI even is; don't they make MBs?
That leaves me with the Plex, which would have been the only one on my list in the first place.
They are traditionally the leaders of the pack. I researched heavily for my first burner 4 years ago. All roads led to Plextor. My Plex 8432 has been trouble-free and continues to deliver.
Don't take my word for it though. Go spend some time on some burning forums out there and see what the serious guys have to say?

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered that Plextor model from newegg ($215 shipped, $220 black model). It is highly regarded by those who purchased it through newegg, and had links to numerous external reviews as well.

John

SteveCop

Agent
Gregory,
Just some info you might be interested in since you mentioned the software from 321 Studios:
http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?id=5801&catid=1
Customers who buy a copy of the upcoming DVD X Copy Xpress software from 321 Studios Inc. will receive a Lite-On DVD burner for an additional $20, the company announced today.

The bundle is a means of stirring up interest for the new DVD copying software, which will be released for a list price of $149.99 on Nov. 25. The DVD+R/RW DVD/CD internal rewritable drive from Lite-On is also normally priced at $149.99, according to 321 Studios.

The bundle will only be sold through 321's website and through the company's new St. Louis Touch Point Customer Service Center at the St. Louis Galleria Mall.

Steve

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've decided not to go for one of the new x8 burners and stick with my trusty Sony. 8x media will be expensive when it finally appears (which it hasn't yet, at least not over here) whereas x2 and x4 blanks are now at a low enough price to buy stacks without breaking the bank.

btw, there will be dual layer DVD+R drives available from next year with an 8gb capacity.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the NEC ND-1100A. Great +R 4x burner for a little over $100. I have bought 2 from newegg after reading all the good reviews. Have had not one coaster with about 50 burns using Verbatim 4x media and freeware software. my only complant is its slow ripping speed, but I have more time than money.

Good luck
Greg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We just bought one of the Plextor PX-708A drives for work and it's a nice drive, no complaints. Have only tested with DVD+R and DVD+RW blanks for the time being, will have some tests with DVD-R blanks soon.

I did pick up a rather inexpensive DVD Burner ($99.99 after $30 rebate) from CompUSA today, a 2-day sale. It was the Buslink DVRW412RD, which appears to be a re-badged Liteon 411S, and Liteon has provided firmware that improves the drive's ability to handle blank media from most manufacturer well enough, and the ability to use the higher 2x and 4x rated DVD media.

Once I get it up and running, I'll try and provide some feedback as well.

JimmyJK

Agent
this is simple

get the 8x burner, certain 4x media writes CONSISTENTLY at 8x Ill find that out for you in a few. (I think its either maxwell or memorex Im forgetting)

Don’t use dvdxcopy its a pain to burn each movie to 2 DVDs and unnecessary.

90 percent of dvds can be burned to 1 4.7GB disk if it is shorter then 130 minutes, all you need to do is get rid of the extra crap.

Even with a 90% compression rate the difference is indistinguishable on a 43inch DLP screen. which then allows you to burn 140minute DVD movies to a 4.7gb disk.

I recommend using DVD shrink, offers the best re-authoring abilities it’s easy and it’s free.

JimmyJK

Agent
TDK, Philips (RICOHJPN) and Verbatim (MCC) here are some medias that have been able tow ork at 8x without a problem

JimmyJK

Agent
right from the horses mouth

I also recommend newegg I love those guys.

OMG I just tried posting a link but it wont let me because I am a new member here try this

just add the w w w . before the plextor

plextor.be/english/technical/recmedia.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks