I must really be stupid because I just don't get adjusting black levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Weida, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Dave Weida

Dave Weida Extra

I have read every post I can find about adjusting Black Level and I guess I just don't get it.
    Do I use AVIA or VE? I have both and I get two different settings.
    I have a Sony 7700 DVD. With VE going through the intro on how to set Black Level I thought that the DVD player passed BTB, I get both stripes, but when I go to the Test Chapter and try to set Black Level I can't get both stripes- only the brighter one. Does this prove that my DVD does not pass BTB? So now what do I do?
    Any help on this would be appreciated. I would just like to know once and for all how to set Black Level.
    P.S. When AVIA and VE makes statements like "increase Brightness until the stripe becomes visible above the background" or "Barely visable", etc. Just exactly what does this mean?
    Thanks Guys for your help.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Good luck. I've tried both VE and AVIA and I keep bumping my head on the whole business. Either my DVD player doesn't pass blacker-than-black or I can't adjust it or some-damn-thing.
    I've come down to "do your best," confident that any effort to calibrate a television monitor is better than none.
    One must not let the perfect become the enemy of the good.
    Really, though, good luck in finding a definitive answer to your excellent question. If someone comes up with one, I'll be delighted.
    ------------------
    http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
    Jan Strnad
    author of Risen and
    "The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Dave, I have no experience with VE but I can comment on Avia. The half black with moving bars and half gray pattern is the one you want to use. Adjust Brightness until the left hand moving bar is almost gone - as in you can barely make out it's moving back and forth. What I do is start brightness at 0, tick up until you can see both bars moving. Then start ticking down until that left hand bar disappears. Tick up one or two until you can just see it - very dimly. Your Brightness setting should be right around here. As Jan said, don't worry about perfection, one notch up or down is most likely not going to make a huge difference. Since white level and black level interact to a certain degree, you also want to go back and check your Contrast setting to make sure that the White Level still looks good. The other thing to check is if your set holds black level across varying picture intensities. Avia also has a full black with moving bars pattern and a half black with moving bars and half white pattern. On a perfect monitor, black level/brightness setting would be the same for all three patterns. Most likely they won't be. If the bars are clearly visible on the all black pattern then it means dark scenes may look a bit washed out (some people like this since it gives more detail even though blacks look a bit too light). If the bars completely disappear on the half black/half white pattern then it means on bright scenes, blacks will be a bit too dark. There's nothing you can do about this and the best compromise is to set the black level using the half black/half gray pattern.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

4. Dave Weida

Dave Weida Extra

Thanks for the responses.
    So I guess I will use AVIA. And if I understand correctly if I change the APLs (LOW to HIGH) the Bright black bar should not change in brightness but remain the same in intensity. This will show that my unit will hold black, correct. And then I should use either the All black or Black with the steps pattern for setting Black. If that is correct then that's what I will do.
    OK?
    Dave