What's new

I must be nuts...getting rid of my beloved Citation amps and Lexicon MC1... (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Last week, I sold my MC1 and one of my Citation 5.1 amps. My 2nd 5.1 amp is going to a friend later this month. I am replacing this wonderful combo with: DC1 version 4.0, Rogue Magnum 66 tube preamp with HT unity gain bypass, Parasound 2200II 250x2 amp, and Parasound 1205A 140x5 amp. For just a couple of hundred bucks more, I think I got noticebably better 2 channel gear for my NHT 3.3s, and did not lose much for HT. The 2200II is a John Curl design and has dual 1.2kVA power transformers :) Both parasounds are coming next week.
The Rogue sounds totally amazing. Huge soundstage, warm, lush, detailed. My normal music listening is around 80 dB; I sometimes feel the urge to play louder. And that's with the lowly dacs in my Panasonic RP91 dvd.
The DC1 sounds pretty close to the MC1, but has less resolution and is not as smooth (which is not always a bad thing, as some may say the MC1 is toooooo smmoooooothhh). DC1 has only four digital inputs and 3 s-video inputs, which is just enough for my DVD, DSS, VCR, and XBox. I was told the DC1 has a DC trigger via the 5pin DIN; does anyone know what kind of cable I need to buy?:D :D :D

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ricky,
See if the following diagram helps you with the pin layout of the DIN socket on the DC-1. I doubt that there is a ready-made cable that has a DIN connector on one end and the appropriate connector for your amp on the other.
Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ricky,
This page describes connecting the DIN trigger output to a Panamax Max 1000+. The last paragraph describes how to connect the zip cord to a DIN connector (available at Radio Shack), which should help you along.
Michael

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for those links; I saw them already, I was hoping someone who's used the dc trigger in the DC1 can tell how without having to solder anything :) (As I don't have too many tools, and no soldering iron)
Boy, the Rogue makes my 3.3s sounds simply amazing! Lexicon/tube preamp is definitely a combo that provides the best of both worlds.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ricky,

Gotcha! I believe that your Parasound amps take a bare wire connection (at least the 1205 does), so you might be able to find a DIN cable and cut off the connector on one end. This, of course, assumes that it is easily determined which color wire goes with which pin. It may also be possible that Radio Shack does have a cable with a DIN connector on one end and bare wire on the other. I found one that way with an RCA connector on one end (for my Marantz MA-700 monoblocks).

One thing you may need to be on the lookout for is whether the DC-1 can trigger both of your amps. I recall reading that there were two different trigger current ratings for the DC-1, the earliest being around 100mA and the later being around 170mA. The DC-2 and MC-1 have 500mA trigger current ratings. The 100mA output may not be able to sufficiently trigger both amps at the same time, so if it doesn't work, don't assume that something is broken. The Lexicon gurus over at SMR should be able to provide more details about this.

Michael

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Michael,

I only need the DC1 to trigger on the 1205a amp...so the 1205 is ON when the Lex is. When I listen to music, these two components are not on.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Ricky I can't belioeve you did it. What happened to I will keep my MC-1? Glad you like the sound in 2 channel.I have listened to the Parasound 2200 and it is a great amp. I ended up with the 2205a and the 2003a. Parasound makes a very good amp for the $. I don't think your crazy for selling the Citation amp. If you remember I had a 7.1 and at the time and the 2003a. The 2003a was a much better performer IMO. Thats why I sold the 7.1 and went with the 2205a.
Ricky, I need your advice.I am on the list for the Outlaw 950.In your opinion should I let it be delivered or cancel it and stay with the MC-1? I to have a RP-91 and will eventually want to use the DVD-A.
Man, I bow to the upgrade guru:D Glad your happy with 2 channel.BTW what did you get for the MC-1?
Cheers,
Steve M.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Steve,
I won't get the 2200II until Wednesday, so my 2 channel sound can only get better :) Hey, I said that I would stay with "Lexicon" and I am. I got 2200 for the MC1, local pickup. No pun intended, but with the DC1 and Rogue combo, all an Outlaw or comparable prepro would do in my system is video switching. The DC1 handles DVDs (5.1 Logic7 is better than discrete 6.1) and DSS (2.0 Logic7 is almost as good as straight 5.1), and the Rogue handles music CDs. I don't need 5.1 inputs, so that would be a drawback for you (but don't you have the TAP?). You probably should get the Outlaw for an at-home demo; I'm sure someone not on the waiting list would buy it from you for $899 plus shipping.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Ricky,

The DC1 handles DVDs (5.1 Logic7 is better than discrete 6.1) and DSS (2.0 Logic7 is almost as good as straight 5.1), and the Rogue handles music CDs.
Now all you're missing is a turntable/cart. BTW, does the rogue have a phono stage?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
This $20 Sears autoswitcher can alleviate your 2200II trigger problems (more info in the systems integration forum):
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...ession.new=Yes
Frank,
I'm not gonna go down the LP road....:) I think the last piece for my 2 channel is $500-1000 on a dac or cd player. First try.....the new Bel Canto DAC2, supposed to be as good as the SACD on the Sony XA777ES.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky,
In all my years of forum-hopping I have never seen someone upgrade/swap as much as you and DAMM IT ..I am jealous! I was looking at you profile on DTForum (I am Mr.Burke) and you may have maxed out the bandwidth of the forum with your profile alone!!!..lol Maybe that is why it went down the other day!!!!
I know you are dead on having the best of both worlds in your system which looks like you got now. Have you tried some of the other Pre/Pro's that have gotten very high marks on 2ch AND H.T. like the Tag AV32R or Bryston SP-1? In my old age (29), a 1 box solution is what I want.
For the others I do NOT want a flame war over Lexicon questionable 2 ch ability!! You can only beat a dead horse so many times! Lastly, congrats on the "new toys"..So how long till the next upgrade?? I give it to August!! :)
Michael

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Michael,
I am so happy with the DC1, Rogue, and NHT 3.3s that I don't see much upgrading for a while. This has little to do with Lexicon for 2 channel; I am SURE I would prefer the Rogue over ANYTHING that processes dd/dts for 2 channel. In other words, my endless quest for combining 2 channel and HT is forming one clear conclusion: you need two pieces. Listen to your elders (I'm 33) :)
www.rogueaudio.com
I paid 1150 for the DC1 and ~ 1200 (new) for the Rogue, and truly believe I have the best of both worlds.
btw, I found out about a year ago offline that there is one person who upgrades more than me...John Tompkins. The difference is that John tells me when he upgrades....and I tell everyone when I do :)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Larry,

I bought it from a dealer in Long Island. Email me and I will provide you with his info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks