I missed the 2-6-02 episode of Ed...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd H, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Can someone help me with a summary of what happened? Thanks.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I will try, but I have to watch the tape tonight before I can offer up a summary.

3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Thanks. The girlfriend wanted to go eat sushi last night so I didn't get to see it. I really need to buy a Tivo. [​IMG]

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Spoilers follow:

Main plot: A friend of Ed & the gang from high school has died. Most have been out of touch with him. He used to play drums in a band with Ed & Mike. They unearth a videotape where the dead friend, at 17, states how much he loves being in a rock band more than anything and asks the guys to play his composition "She's a Bitch, But I Love Her" at his funeral. Ed feels compelled to honor the request, Carol tells him that it is ludicrous, and Mike and Nancy tend to agree with Carol. Ed contacts the other band member from high school (name forgotten) who is played by Andy Richter. Richter's character claims that he ran into the deceased buddy a couple of years ago at the Banana Republic where he works and that he still obviously lived to rock and roll at the time. Carol investigates further and finds out the the Richter character was lying to get the band back together and that their old buddy was a happy straightlaced family man with an office job. Ed meets the dead man's wife and child at a wake and decides that Carol was probably right.

Intersecting B-Plot: Cheswick ineptly charms his way back into the graces of his dream girl who invites him to a party at her house. He attends. Later they take a walk outside and she kisses him. He is enraptured at school the next day and decides he must get a tatoo to commemorate the occasion. Carol hears about this in the hallway and tells Cheswick not to do it. Cheswick tells her he is going to do it and if he regrets it when he is 40, then he is wrong when he is 40 and does not care. He asks for a tatoo of an infinity sign above his right shoulder blade, draws it for the tatoo artist, who rotates it 90 degrees so Cheswick winds up with an "8" tatoo. Cheswick's dad bursts in to the parlor and drags him out a bit too late. The next day, Jessica tells him she has decided she does not want a boyfriend right now, and Cheswick painfully flails about as only he can until she can separate from him. Carol sees him in the hall looking mopey, and gives him a bit of the I told you so, but Cheswick says he is sad about the break-up, but does not regret the tatoo to commemorate his one perfect moment. Carol thinks about this and later reconsiders her objection to playing the song at the funeral, telling Ed that he "must" do it. Final scene: Ed delivers a nice eulogy at the funeral and then he, Mike, and the Richter character perform "She's a Bitch, But I Love Her" (in the songs lyric, "she" turns out to be "life") which plays into the closing credits.

Non-intersecting B-Plot: High school drop-out Phil attends an adult education class taught by Molly who forces him to study.

I can't remember a $10 bet, but there is a funny throwaway gag where Ed and Nancy pretend to be passionately making love when Dr. Mike walks in to the room and then act surprised to see him. Dr. Mike chides them for still thinking that gag is funny every time.

Regards,

5. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Maybe you did not know, but is it also on again on UPN at 7 eastern time....

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Maybe your UPN affiliate airs repeats, but the station here doesn't.
    It should also be noted that Cheswick's father in last night's episode was played rather colorfully by "Booger." [​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually, I thought this was a hugely bitterweet episode of Ed, it's one where all of the subplots are done fairly well, even if the outcomes aren't what we'd want, the resolutions are what they should have been.
    Glad the dead guy's wife "got" the song written by her husband and performed by Ed and the Youth Bandits.
    Perhaps we can now move into the 3rd act of the "Some Kind of Wonderful" phase for Warren and Diane. (Though it was sort of funny/sad that Jessica didn't recognize Mark as someone who went to the same high school as her, nor that he was Warren's best friend. That relationship was so doomed, and his snivelling/begging at the end "please have sex with me" was rather demonstrative of the essence of Warren, he just doesn't know when to shut the hell up when he's "ahead" with the ladies. [​IMG]

8. Michael St. Clair

CBS-owned UPN repeats an NBC show in some markets? Must be some kind of clout that Letterman has.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I feel Cheswick's pain. This brings back memories of some of my painful and awkward moments from my High School days. This plot-line is written and acted out very well.