What's new

I miss guitar pop music on the radio ( the stream of consciousness rant) (1 Viewer)

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
Did Matthew Sweet fall off the face of the earth? I guess we get the occasional REM, Goo Goo Dolls, or David Gray song....the college station is seemingly all about electronic and UC...which is fine, its just not what im in the mood for in the summer...What?...I still think Tori Amos is off her rocker...I'm sure there are scads of great groups in the "underground" that are worth checking out (A girl I know keeps telling me to check out Placebo) but I'm LAZY darnit...I want to hear stuff in may car, on the road, on the radio...I'm not dropping $500 for an XM either...They used to play Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins in between Juliana Hatfield, Urge Overkill and Dinosaur Jr. now I hear "Lithium" in between songs by Staind and Papa Roach...:rolleyes...I am not just being nostalgic for my college years... yes I love Tool but I can't take a trip to the lake listening to them...I never liked the The Cure...I'm not going to buy Jeff Buckley's album just because you think he's cool now...Yes I saw Spiderman, what does that have to do with anything?...The strokes? Are they British?...You can't blame Soul Asylum for the success of Hootie and the Blowfish...you didn't just bring a Dave Matthews CD into my apartment did you? Maybe if he had fallen out of the the Helicopter in Black Hawk Down Jean would stop obsessing over him and call me back. What do mean he wasn't in the movie? Who was that bald guy then? Fuck Dave Matthews anyway. Don't even think of putting that in my CD player...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Well, I'm not quite sure how to respond to that... :)
I'd like to hear more guitar based pop/rock on the radio than the sludgy stuff that rock radio is hellbent on playing. Forthwith are some things you might want to check out:
--Sheryl Crow C'mon C'mon (or whatever it's called). It's a little too overproduced for my tastes, but it's a solid, sunny album for the summer.
--Ash Free All Angels Fun pop/rock that seems to be in the vein of what you're looking for. Picked it up cheap ($5.99) at Best Buy, and it comes with a DVD too.
--White Stripes White Blood Cells I'm assuming that's a swipe intended toward The Strokes, so I'm not sure if this will do anything for you or not. Rawer and probably not pop, but it is guitar-based. :)
--Counting Crows Hard Candy I was a big fan, but I came to realize that their last album wasn't getting played much after I first got it. Maybe it was a little too whiny or something. I decided to get the new one (which was sold out at a couple stores just a day after release), and I like it a lot better. More up tempo music that probably sounds good while on the road in the summer.
--Guided By Voices Universal Truths and Cycles More lo-fi than the last couple albums but a winner nonetheless.
Hopefully something there will grab you.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Go Link Removed and subscribe. $15 for 6 annual issues, a free CD (with some darn good ones to choose from) with the subscription and every year after that you subscribe, and tons and tons of CD reviews. This magazine will point you in the right direction for great guitar pop music. That's not too much work is it?
No, it's not on the radio...but most of the good stuff isn't...and never will be.
And no, I don't work for the magazine. I'm just here to help...and could not do without my Amplifier magazine every couple of months. Although my wallet could.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
There's a thread in the software forum that had a link to this column:
http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,14...ATimes-Print-X!ArticleDetail-64586,00.html?
In it, in one sentence no less, the writer sums up one of the, IMO, main reasons why file sharing of music has become so popular:
I too miss guitar pop music on the radio. But at least I can still listen to some Internet radio stations that give me new, good, pop and rock music (both with guitars and without them). Broadcast radio and TV is completely dead in that aspect.
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks