What's new

I Met Steven Spielberg This Weekend ! (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
Here's some info I found on Kaminisky.
He's also married to Holly Hunter.

Janusz Kaminski
Biography
After extensive studies in his native Poland and the USA (concluding with a prestigious stay at the American Film Institute as a cinematography fellow), Kaminski carved a modest niche in feature films in second unit work. Two of his credits were in films produced by Roger Corman, who promoted Kaminski to director of photography for "The Terror Within II" (1991). For the next two years, he kept fairly busy on minor fare, some of it little seen in theatres before being released to video: "The Unborn", "Cool as Ice" and "Pyrates/Pirates" (all 1991). Handling the cinematography on "The Adventures of Huck Finn" (1993) was a step up for Kaminski, as was working for producer Steven Spielberg on the Civil War TV pilot, "Class of '61" (1993). His work impressed the producer-director, who hired him for the Holocaust drama, "Schindler's List" (1993), distinguished by Spielberg and Kaminski's stunning combination of stark documentary realism and carefully sculpted lighting patterns evocative of the nightmarish imagery of German expressionism. Kaminski went on to earn numerous awards for his work on "Schindler's List" including an Oscar. He then shot such diverse films as "Tale Tale: The Unbelievable Adventures of Pecos Bill" and "How to Make an American Quilt" (both 1995) and the Tom Cruise vehicle "Jerry Maguire" (1996) before reteaming with Spielberg on back-to-back ventures. "Amistad" (1997) benefitted greatly from Kaminski's attention to light while "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) earned him his second Oscar for Best Cinematography, particularly for the film's intense battle scenes that were shot with hand-held cameras.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Great story! I would've loved to be in your shoes during that moment. Spielberg's one of my favorite directors around and generally does come off like a very cool guy to talk to.
I love the fact that the DP for Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, AI and a whole other slew of movies was just goofing around with you and trying to sneak into the picture. Classic. :)

Bill_Wid

Auditioning
I met Spielberg once, also. His wife, Kate Capshaw, has family that still lives in Euless, Texas. They were in town a few years ago for the funeral when her father died. They had the funeral in Colleyville, Texas at the Bluebonnet Cemetery. I am a McDonald's manager down the street from that cemetery. They came through my drive thru for a meal during the time that they were there. I believe they had all of their kids with them. He was very nice, as was Kate. I didn't have much time to talk to them or get anaautograph. Wish I had.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Very cool. Even cooler the fact that he was nice. I always expect celebs not to be, and I'm always pleasantly surprised when they are. It's always neat when you meet a celeb. I once met Andy Garcia, Robert Duvall, Nestor Torres and Gloria Estefan all at the same time. It was for a movie screening of a documentary that Andy Garcia directed about Israel Lopez Cachao. I also got their autographs. They were all really nice.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
You better watch out with those special digitally enhanced photos Bart, or you'll start a 16 page thread on why you should leave the original material alone. :laugh:

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Alex, I was meaning to ask you whether during or after the close encounter (pun intended) that you had thought about the HTF and how much we'd get a real kick from your pics? I mean who else would fully appreciate the story and photo more than the people who post at the movie forum at HTF, right :D;)

Alex S

Second Unit
Thanks Bart !
What did you use to correct it ?

It was very sunny that day and the sun was behind us, as you can tell by the shadow on our faces.

Alex S

Second Unit
Alex, I was meaning to ask you whether during or after the close encounter (pun intended) that you had thought about the HTF and how much we'd get a real kick from your pics? I mean who else would fully appreciate the story and photo more than the people who post at the movie forum at HTF, right
Stevan,

Exactly right. That's why I posted it here and nowhere else.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Wow. Awesome. I'm lost for words. You are one lucky man. Great story, too. That is simply too cool!

Nathan

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
You guys looks so cute :) .. but seriously ... congrats Alex!
The first thing that should have been on your mind was to invite him to the HTF, wait till Ron and Parker will find this thread ... you are sure to be scolded :)

Alex S

Second Unit
Haha, great story, loved the part about Kaminski.

Cool to see how nice Spielberg was to you, I would never approach a celebrity like that, I always figure they don't like it and would tell me to piss off or something (can't really blame them).

Mike
Mike,

The worst thing they could do say is no.

I've now got a picture with my favorite director and favorite actor (Robert DeNiro). My wife and I went to a play in NYC about 12 or 13 years ago starring DeNiro, Ralph Macchio and Burt Young called Cuba & His Teddy Bear.
My wife's friend was an auto mechanic who worked on Macchio's car and got us backstage passes. After the play was over I got a picture with DeNiro and my wife got one with Macchio.

DeNiro was very quiet. When I asked him if I could take a picture with him he said ok and that was all he said.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
DeNiro was very quiet. When I asked him if I could take a picture with him he said ok and that was all he said.
This has always been the rumour surrounding DeNiro. Cuba Gooding Jr. mentioned this one night on Late Night w/Conan O'Brien. Also, anyone whose ever seen DeNiro on SNL during one of those "Joe Pesci Show" skits knows he looks to be a very quiet gentleman.
Back to the main point, Steven Spielberg - AWESOME!:emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You better watch out with those special digitally enhanced photos Bart, or you'll start a 16 page thread on why you should leave the original material alone.
I love it! :laugh:
"Close Encounters 2: The Alex/Steven Meeting -- Newly Re-mastered Anamorphic Collector's Edition" :)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
That's fine, just make sure to post the original as well so we have a choice on which one to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks