What's new

I Met Steven Spielberg This Weekend ! (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
Wow, what a day Friday (8/9/02) turned out to be !
I took the day off to spend the day with my wife in the Hamptons (Long Island). We dropped the kids off at my parents to sleep over there. We first went to a winery in South Hampton then to some shops in East Hampton.
As I am coming out from a store this guy walks right in front of me with about 4 other people. He's wearing a hat and sunglasses and a t-shirt and shorts. It looks like Steven Spielberg but this guy looks about 5'10" or 5'11".
I said to myself, it looks just like him but he's too tall (I always pictured Spielberg as being short). So I walk behind him and wait for him to talk to someone he's with. As soon as he does I knew for sure it was him.
I quickly get my wife's attention from shopping and we follow him, he's heading towards the parking lot.
His guests go into a store and he's standing there alone. So I say, "Hey Steven how about a picture ?" (Luckily I had my digital camera with me)
So he says "sure".
I shake his hand and my wife tells him "we love your movies". Spielberg says "Thank you".
I give the camera to my wife (she is not a very good photographer btw) Spielberg says "wow, that looks like a complicated camera ?" I laugh and Spielberg asks us "where we are from ?" I tell him and my wife is trying to take the picture but this guy he was with is jumping around behind us making faces at the camera.
"My wife says, I can't take it with this guy in the picture". Spielberg replys "oh, you should take his picture, he's a 2 time Oscar winner for Cinematography, his name is so and so (we couldn't remember his name, sounded German). Anyway my wife takes the picture (luckily she does a great job) and we thank him and say goodbye.
He and his guests get in his car and drive off. We couldn't see what kind of car he was driving because he was parked so far away.
As we are walking away we start thinking of all these things we should have said and done like getting his autograph, getting a picture of him and my wife, getting him to take a picture of us (so I could show everyone and say here is a picture of us taken by Steven Spielberg), ask him when Raiders is coming out on DVD, what movie are you working on, can you get me in one of your movies ?...we were caught off-guard but how many people can say "here's a picture of Steven Spielberg and me ?"
Well...here's a picture of Steven Spielberg and me !
:)
Link Removed
Link Removed
(Mods: I posted it in this forum because he is my favorite director, which is in the description of the Movies forum.)

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
You lucky skunk! Heheheh! Wish that was me! But, I'd probably be like you and forget all my questions. ha!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Nice story and a good picture too. From what you said, he seems very friendly. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Edwin

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Spielberg replys "oh, you should take his picture, he's a 2 time Oscar winer for Cinematography, his name is so and so (we couldn't remember his name, sounded German).
Janusz Kaminski, maybe? You should have asked him what the hell the deal was with those fire streaks in Saving Private Ryan... ;) Verrrry cool....
Congrats! :D

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
That's just awesome! Of all the people in Hollywood I'd like to meet, Speilberg tops the list. Congrats. :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Wow, you lucky dog. Good gfor you though.:emoji_thumbsup:
But how could you have forgot to ask about Raiders of the Lost Ark? :D

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
That's awesome. I wish something like that would happen to me. Haha "He's a two time oscar winner for cinematography". Also, It's gotta be Janusz Kaminski.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
This is the sort of stuff that's pleasing to read here from time to time, thanks for the story and picture Alex - good stuff!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Great GREAT story.
Kaminski is Polish. If it was him, damn, you really should have got him in the shot too. Go back and get the picture done again... :D
Dan

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Very happy for you, I'm sure that was unexpectedly exciting. I meet a lot of people now and then but never have a camera, and always beat myself upside the head as to why I didn't say that, etc, so I know, but if you'd do all that you said you wanted, it'd turn into a press conference in the parking lot, I mean, even a nice person would get irritated, so maybe you acted better than you think.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Very cool. I've met a number of famous people in my day (Bill Clinton, Milla Jovovich ;), and a billion "famous" musicians), but I'd love to meet Spielberg. We just watched Close Encounters last night, and boy, I'd love to have thirty seconds of his time to grovel to him about how great it is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks