I met Jack Horner last Saturday

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by D. Scott MacDonald, Nov 18, 2002.

1. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I took my kids to the Pacific Science Center to see the Sue (T-Rex) exhibit and was surprised to learn that Jack Horner was doing a presentation and book signing. For those that don't know, Jack Horner is a world renowned dinosaur expert who served as a technical consultant for the Jurassic Park movies, and Sam Neil's character is loosely based on him.

His presentation was fascinating as he explained why he believes that the T-Rex was a scavenger rather than a predator. I found his evidence very compelling. If anybody is interested in knowing his argument, let me know and I will summarize it.

At the end of the presentation he had a brief question and answer period where I was able to ask a question that has bugged me for the past year or so: I had learned that the T_Rex was the biggest, baddest carnivorous dino. Was the Spinosaur really much bigger, and why hadn't I ever heard of it before?

His answer is that they had known about the Spinosaur for a while, but never knew how big they got until they found a jaw fragment in 1990 that would have made the complete jaw 8 feet long. The Spinosaur attached to this 8' jaw would have been much bigger that the T-Tex. This is why in JP3, the T-Rex was quickly killed by the Spinosaur while it was picking at a dino corpse (implied scavenging).

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that would have been a very interesting day. i've seen him enough times on discovery and tlc to know that he knows his stuff!

his t-rex scavenger theory has raised all sorts of controversy too. i don't remember his exact arguments, but i remember it kind of making sense. didn't it have to do with the lack of flexible fore-limbs, it's lumbering gate and overall anatomy design?

i think most of the community is outraged just because his vision of the t-rex is so far away from what we're "used" to believing.

3. D. Scott MacDonald

I will attempt to summarize his "T-Rex was a scavenger" argument:

1) The T-Rex's front legs were completely useless and could not be used to grab prey. Most predators like to grab and bite rather than bite on he run. In fact, he showed a picture of a cool fossil of a Velociraptor attacking it's prey, which it's front claws embedded in it's head and it's killing claw in the abdomen.

2) It probably couldn't run very fast, if at all. It's leg design is similar to man's in that the femur and the tibia are roughly the same size. For fast animals, the tibia is usually much longer than the femur (e.g. the Ostrich which is the fastest biped and the second fastest animal).

3) Some scientists theorize that if the T-Rex tripped and fell forward, it would probably never get up. It's front legs could not catch the T-Rex in a fall, so it would either land on it's jaw or it's ribs. Weighing 12,000 pounds, it's jaw or ribs would probably not survive such a blow. This leads them to believe that it wasn't particularly agile and probably moved somewhat conservatively.

4) It's eyes weren't very big, which is unusual for a predator. But it's olfactory capability was enormous, resembling a vulture. He said that it was capable of smelling things 12 miles away. Such a capacity would be of no benefit to a slow moving predator, but would be quite useful to a scavenger.

He had more fossil evidence, of course, but I can't explain it all very well. But to hear this from the man himself, it is very hard to not believe him. And looking up at Sue, I don't care if she's a predator or scavenger - I wouldn't have wanted to meet her.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Was he sitting in a corner eating his christmas pie? [​IMG]
    sorry.
    [​IMG]

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Scott, no offense to you or to Dr. Horner (I assume he's a Doctor) but I'm not sure why any of those things would make a T-Rex incapable of killing its own food vs having to be a scavanger of already dead animals. Consider the speed of its prey for a second. You probably wouldnt have to be very fast to catch some of these other dinosaurs, and not all dinosaurs had very good defense mechanisms.

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Little Jack Horner..sat in a corner...
    'cause he had a square ass! [​IMG]
    I know..I know...but I couldn't help myself!
    (Or how about:
    Little Boy Blue..'cause he needed the money!)

8. D. Scott MacDonald

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Was I the only one wondering if Rollergirl was there, too?

10. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

What about Amber Waves?

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

12. D. Scott MacDonald

Let this be a lesson for all of you parents and future parents. If you give your kid a stupid name, nobody will ever look past it regardless of what he/she achieves.

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I went to MSU-b for a year. Decent school.

15. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I've been to Boseman. Beautiful town. My Grandma grew up there, so I had to stop on the way from Omaha to Seattle. It really is a nice town. Beautiful views.