What's new

I may have a problem...do I need a BFD for my SVS 20-39PC? (1 Viewer)

DanSt

Stunt Coordinator
SubGraph.JPG

Hey all!
As of late I have started to wonder if my sub calibration might be off due to some weird peaks when I use the pink noise coming from the receiver. When I first received my SVS I was impressed with it, but not WOW'ED by it. It sounded better then my previous sub and I felt the bass better, but not by leaps and bounds. And trust me I checked the calibration using my RS SPL meter multiple times and even added a few decibles to the reading since the RS meter isn't perfect.
Just for kicks my friend and I turned the sub up about 8db higher (in the receiver) then normal and to tell the truth I actually thought it sounded better on the movies I used to test it with. For the first time my SVS sub has actually WOW'ED me.
As you can see I have posted a graph with measurements taken with my mains calibrated to 75db using a 1kHz test tone. Then the mains were unplugged for sub testing. Could that peak in between 40-71Hz be causing miscalibration when using the pink noise. Should my sub be set higher? Do I need a BFD? Am I just some kind of BASS FREAK?? Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all that help :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Dan, as John said, you definitely need a BFD. It will help tremendously.
Here's a comparison of my sub before and after a BFD. Huge difference!
BeforeandAfterBFD.jpg

Don't mind the extreme drop-off at 63hz. I just forgot to graph the readings.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
DanST,

How did you go about getting the graph? I would be very interested in testing my system. I have a RS SPL.

John

DanSt

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Guess its time to order a BFD.
JohnSC:
Here is where I got all my info:
Link Removed
VERY AWESOME SITE!!!
THANKS ALL!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DK Baker