I may be getting $18 Million!!!.....well.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkHastings, Mar 14, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm sure many of you have already gotten this spam email, but I think it is absolutely hysterical

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Unfortunately, this scam, and similar ones, has worked to the tune of several hundred millions of dollars. Truly sad that anyone is duped by it, but there it is.

Why don't you try your little blurb? I'm darned certain that if you send it to enough people, you'll get something in return.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I first received the "Nigerian General with $18M" email about three years ago, before it was widely known about. It kinda freaked me out at first, thinking it was a real email. I reported it to the University security, and then figured out it was a SPAM/scam email.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I get several of these "Nigerian scam" emails a month. According to Snopes' webpage about it, http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/nigeria.htm , this scam has been around since the 1920's, but was called "The Spanish prisoner" back then.

This funny article from Salon.com does an analysis of the language in the e-mails: http://www.salon.com/people/feature/...ams/print.html

I've seen websites by people who do just this: "I'm too lazy to work, just send me some money". Amazingly, people HAVE sent them money.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Well, I once sold this on eBay:

"White coloured four-pronged plastic fork. FEEL THE THRILL AND EXCITEMENT OF DISPLAYING YOUR VERY OWN PLASTIC FORK! only limited number ever produced!*

* the number of these plastic forks produced is finite, hence the term "limited". "thrill" and "excitement" may vary depending on intelligence, age, sex, species, relative position to the solar system, food you may or may not have for breakfast. This disclaimer may or may not disclaims any claim claimed by the claimer to the claimee. void where fun is prohibited by law."

I got US$20 for it!

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Please it is very, very Confidential.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

..........that is why I'm only spreading it to millions of people in the internut...err...internet community.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    They only offered you $18 million? My solicitations always come from phony Nigerian government officials, as opposed to phony Nigerian doctors, and they usually offer me $60 or $80 million. Not only are your scammers crooks, they're cheap bastards, as well. [​IMG]

And certainly people have fallen for it, even lost their life savings. However, that isn't the worst result of this scam, which can lead to things that are definitely not funny.

Regards,

Joe

8. Larry Eshleman

This is what is known as the "419" scam, and used to be conducted via fax to unwitting businesses and individuals. Since the rise of e-mail, it has unfortunately taken on a whole new life.

Wasting the time of, or even counter-scamming, some of these scam artists is becoming a common pastime on the web. Some interesting exchanges are in the following pages:

Scam-O-Rama
    The Spam Letters
    The Chaos Project

9. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Once upon a time, I received a similar email scam promising disbursements of money from a person claiming to be an African government official.

Recognizing this for what it was, I notified his e-mail provider's abuse address, included a copy of the message and the message's complete header information. Within days I received an email stating that thanks to my notification, the e-mail provider had taken appropriate action against the individual in question (I rule![​IMG]).

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I've gotten a bunch of these over the years, in various formats (not just copies of the same letter). Interesting how it's always Africa, never another part of the world.

Is this a variation of the old con game where they ask people to deposit money into an account to show their good faith before supposedly rewarding them with the big payoff?

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I would suspect that they ask for your account # promising to make a deposit and tomorrow morning rather than being $18,000,000 richer you'll be minus whatever cash was already in the account.

12. MarkHastings

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That's not how this scam works. They milk the victim for money over a long period of time, by asking for money for bribes of Nigerian officials, expenses and so on. They always have a reason why they can't do it themselves, and they always make sure to keep mentioning what a small price it is to pay, say, $10K since you will be receiving "shortly" milions of dollars. After a while, the victim has spent so much money that they've crossed the point of no return, and the money are always supposed to be transferred "very shortly". What's another $5K when you've already spent $100K, especially since you'll be receiving $20M in just a week or so...

/Mike

14. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

What I want to know is if the "doctor" can't fake the next of kin, how on earth would a random stranger across the world fake one?

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Did anybody see the MSNBC article about the guy in the Czech Republic who actually fell for this scam, lost his savings and proceded to drive to the local Nigerian embassey and then shot to death two Nigerian embassy employees or diplomats???

I was sent this link at work but I don't remember it now, but it was on MSNBC.

[edit] Oops, I see Joseph DeMartino has posted it at ZDNet... I saw a similar article..

I get tons of those emails except not all of them are from "nigeria" and simply laugh.

Jay

16. MarkHastings