What's new

I made the final car payment today!!! (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Drew,
What was wrong with your 5 year plan? Could you have afforded the 3 year plan or would that have pinched your spending money?
As stated above you never know what can happen and there are a lot worse things then a 5 year car plan, Like a 30-year mortgage ;)
KyleS
By the way congrats on paying off the car I cant wait till we get my wifes car paid off so I can go get a new vehicle for myslef and sell my old one.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I have an old '97 Sunfire GT with 70k. I'm gonna drive this sucker until repair costs > utility. Ok, no smart ass comments about American cars and their stellar reliability :b

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Congrats! Nice isn't it. :D I think I've become used to it now...
>holds tounge on Sunfire...< ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am always thinking by the time I am done with a 5 year payement I will want a new one...

--

Holadem - used '94 buick... :b

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I assume you previously got a five-year loan to keep the payments low. If your income increased during that time and making payments were such a pain, why not just pay it off early? On my last five-year loan, I just kept paying additional on the principal and had it paid off in 50 months.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Michael has the right method - pay this month's payment, and next months principal, and you effectively save yourself one month's payment. I saved a bunch on my cars this way. I couldn't afford to pay the whole principal each month at first, so I just paid a set ammount over the total payment. Definitely worth it, and it shortens the loan duration because you pay it off sooner. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats! The best kind of car is one that's paid for. :)
Unfortunately, I just went the other way. I sold my '93 Camry and bought a new Nissan Altima. I hate having a car payment again. Hopefully I'll have it paid for in about 18 months, if things go according to plan.
One nice thing about keeping cars for a long time -- that monthly cost goes way down. I figured that my '93 Camry V6 XLE cost me about $100 per month (not including maintenance, of course) over the 9.5 years I had it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hey, congrats! I just made my final payment on mine as well! Looking forward to at least a couple years payment free! :D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I personally like the longer loan periods. IMO, it gives you more options if money becomes tight.

At the bank I often deal with, there's only a 0.3% difference between a 36 and 72 month car loan.

I've got a 66 month on my TL-S, but if my income stays intact, it will be paid off long before that. If my income goes away, I don't have to worry about repossession right away.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I paid mine off about 2 months ago and it felt damn good. Also, I have recently become completly dept free and I can now get what ever my little heart desires, I think I'm going to go on a vaction. Congrats on your new found wealth. :emoji_thumbsup:

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
Next car i get i'm just going to plunk down cash. No real point paying interest on a loan for a car that is deprecieating at the same time. You get screwed both ways.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
...unless you got one of those 0% deals. I got an F-150 last fall: paid invoice, put $1500 down, and got 0% for the balance for 36 months. Hey it's a free loan.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
It's great to pay off a car. I love the feeling. As for a problem with a 5 year loan, besides paying interest longer, for most of those years you're "upsidedown" as to what you owe vs. what the car is worth. As soon as you drive it off the lot the value will go down as much as 20% since it's now a used car. Now you owe $20,000 on a car worth $16,000. The car's value keeps decreasing faster than you can pay it off.If a couple of years down the road the car is totaled in an accident you'll find yourself owing a lot more than your insurance will pay. With a shorter loan, you're paying more, quicker so your exposure won't be as long. Of course, I know a 5 year loan is the only way many people can buy a car.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I just paid mine off last month. It feels pretty good. The extra money not being spent on a car payment comes in handy. Now I have to think about when would be the best time to trade it in. It has 70,000 miles and has needed no major repairs so far, but I suspect that a lot of parts are going to wear out soon.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It has 70,000 miles and has needed no major repairs so far, but I suspect that a lot of parts are going to wear out soon.
This is something I've never understood. Why be so willing to pump $$$ every month for X years to pay the thing off, and then trade it in (and begin the $$$ cycle again) when the first thing breaks? Even paying for major maintenance is cheaper than a $500/mo car payment.
I have a '95 Accord EX, with 111K miles, and I've not had to repair ANYTHING yet. And, there are no signs of anything going bad. I fully expect the car to last another 10-15 years without a major failure. We'll see if my desire to own it lasts that long.:D
What type of car is it, Wayne? I reserve the right to change my opinion if it's a Chrysler.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2handband