What's new

I lust after the new Hummer H2. Anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Can you name the truck with four-wheel drive,
Smells like a steak, and seats thirty-five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down.
It’s the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown.
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
sixty-five tones of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Top of the line In utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
She blinds everyone with her super high-beams.
She’s a squirrel-squashin’,
Dear-smackin’ Drivin’ Machine.
Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!
Whoa, Canyonero! Canyonero!

KyleS

Screenwriter
but I think these H2s are just Hummer wannabes. They don't have the ground clearance, wheel base, or many other features that make the Hummer so different and attractive for offroad.
Man you hit the nail on the head Bill. When I was back in Indiana at my companies sister site in Elkhart I stopped by the Hummer manufacturing facility and took a tour and the specs of this units are embarrasing to say the least. Heck I think a good majority of the SUV's on the market right now can compare or exceed the standards of this unit for less money. Its a smaller more mass market unit that isnt as wide or heavy.

KyleS

Kevin T

Screenwriter
personally, i'm fed up with the h2's but then again, my office window faces directly into the dealership so i see those damn things up and down the road everyday. before they got the h2 in, i remember seeing what appeared to be a spec hummer. another guy i work with and i walked across the street just to see how much they cost. i can't begin to describe the sticker shock! $103,000!!! i was even more suprised when the new h2 began retailing at half that price. not like i'd ever buy one anyways though.

kevin t

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've driven a Military HMMWV before, what is it people like about these things?
If you enjoy back & joint pain, Build a chopper.
You like noise? , build a chopper
Need to carry more than four people (in seats), buy a station wagon
Wanna go offroad? Buy a Jeep wrangler and put a lift kit on it. In fact, you'll probably be more off-road capable with a stock jeep wrangler
The HMMWV does a few things well:
*Burns diesel like theres no tomorrow
*spews toxins by way of not having a catalytic converter (Or much of anything in the way of an exhaust system)
*stacking stuff in the back; guns, explosives, people who dont like seats.
*Running into stuff. It wasn't designed so much as "Off road" as it was to plow through roadblocks.
Yes its fun to drive for about an hour until physical discomfort sets-in, but without a fleet of mechanics to keep it drivable (the ARMY has many), its nothing I would ever consider buying, no-matter what it costs.
And everybody knows that the "H2" is just a suburban that's trying to look like a cherokee.:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
what's a hummer without 23" wheels? :rolleyes
just what we need, more soccermoms and cell phone jabbering businessmen wheeling around in 3 ton boxy monstrosities trying to bash me and my perfect little itialian mistress into a pulp

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I dunno if I agree with the comments about it not being off-road worthy. It still has some pretty heavy-duty stuff going on underneath. I agree it's not as off-road worthy as the H1, but from what I've read, it's the 2nd best off-road SUV you can get, behind the H1

It's certainly more capable than those other "LUXURY" SUV's like the BMW, etc.

I happen to think the H2 is pretty darn cool. Yeah, it's expensive but it's alot cheaper than the H1. I really don't think the H1 is worth the money, even if you do off-road alot. Is there really $100K worth of vehicle there?

KirkA

Agent
Garrett,

How dare you speak like that about Hummers.

He does make a couple good points though, if you drive on off-road roads they are way to wide. Then again, with a Hummer, who needs roads? I think the civilian model is a bit more comfy than the Army's. I drove one around Phoenix for a couple days and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's not much that will turn heads down there but the Hummer did. That was back before they decided to sell them to the public, they originally sold only 1,000 or so to civilians. They're no speed machines, when I got back to my car I was constantly going about 90.

Hummer 2s look okay. Built on a Suburban frame. Soccer moms should like them but I don't know that they will be any more off-roadable than any other SUV.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"It's like wanting to own a Porsche and getting the Boxster ... it's just not a 911"
Actually, the 911 is a Boxster since it uses about half of the Boxster's parts! :D
While I'm not in the market for an SUV, I'd rather spend $50,000 on an H2 than $50,000 on the new Toyota 4Runner or any other number of SUVs. Considering the looks and off-road capabilities of the H2, it's an excellent value when you consider that it's the same price as the Cadillac Escalade or GMC Denali, all of which share the same platform and engine.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
If I had that much money, I'd outfit an X5 with DINAN upgrades. *mmm* I've never really been a fan of the Hummer... albeit, the new H2's do look kinda cool. *shrug*

scott.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
My neighbor has an anthracite silver H1 wagon w/ polished alloys, black windows and chromed brush guards. About as fine an example of self-indulgent, over the top hedonism available on wheels. It is a phenomenal vehicle in every regard, with no peer. When asked how he likes it, his standard reply is "bitchin'". Next to it, the H2 looks like a poorly cast 99 cent Hot Wheels. Plus, it seems to me all non-tangible reasons for ownership negated with the H2. Aurels' Boxster analogy is dead on. I just don't get the mindset of buying an SLK off the lot when the same dollars will get a mint 2 year old SL. One more thing, what's up with that giant chrome grill?

AllanN

Supporting Actor
When I've got the money I plan on picking up a referbed military HMMWV also and putting in some high back bucket seats, brush guard, winch kit, underbody armor, snorkel
The military HMMWV has a snorkel already. The newer ones extend past the roof where the older ones only went to the top of the hood. Jut a few weeks ago on the History Chanel show Mail Call, they drove one into the water a few inches past the top of the hood.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
As for the $100,000 price of a civilian H1: that's only if you buy new. And in my opinion, unless you've got an extra $50,000 burning a hole in your pocket, it's a waste of money to buy new. Hummers depreciate at a rate of about $10,000 per year the first 5 years. After that their depreciation rate significantly slows down. So if you buy new, your $100,000 Hummer will be worth $50,000 after 5 years. I'd rather buy a 5 year old Hummer for $50,000 than a brand new Yukon or Tahoe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks