What's new

I lust after the new Hummer H2. Anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
It's so bad. I'm a good environmental person, but it looks like GM has created the exact necessary stimulus to tap directly into my inner 8 year old, who is shouting "To hell with gas milage and finding a parking space! That thing is coooooool! Vroom vrooom!"

I saw an H2 drive by my house yesterday and immediately wanted one.

I live in NYC, so it's stupid to have a car that big.

I don't have $50,000 to spend on a car.

But somehow that butt-ugly truck gives me butterflies.

So, does anyone have one? Want to tell me about it so I can live vicariously?

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
there is a joke to be made with GM calling it a hummer and marketing towards men but i don't want to offend anyone. :b

---
jay

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
You might want to wait. I thought GM was coming out with an H3 in 2003 or 2004 that will be priced in the mid to high $30K range. Since the H2 is based on the Yukon/Tahoe frame I think the H3 will be based on the Trailblazer/Envoy setup.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm in no danger of buying anything soon because I'm closing on a condo next week! It's just one of those slack-jawed "mmmmm big truck" Homer Simpson moments.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who thinks that the Hummer (and the H2) is incredibly ugly? Would anyone buy these things if they were $12K?
http://www.elcova.com/h2/H2KC3.jpg
It reminds me of the crappy Russian station wagons I used to see in Sweden back in the 70's and 80's, only bigger.
/Mike

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I want a Hummer (yes, I'm talking about the truck :rolleyes::D ) but I think these H2s are just Hummer wannabes. They don't have the ground clearance, wheel base, or many other features that make the Hummer so different and attractive for offroad. The H2 is just a Yukon with less seating capacity. If you want a REAL Hummer get an H1 (as they are now called since the introduction of the H2).
I see an H1 and I get the butterflies. I see an H2 and I shake my head.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Well, as long as we are talking about hypothetical money, what's an exta $50,000! Give me the H1, one in black and one in flame orange!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'll buy the original Hummer in neon pink, lower the body with ground-effect kit, add spoilers and front dam kit, change it so I have a muffler that I can stick my head into...

oh wait... that's for a Rice Rocket.

Love the H1 hate the H2

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I see an H1 and I get the butterflies. I see an H2 and I shake my head.
You & me both. Who would buy this H2? I don't like it at all. Nor do I like the fact that, soon, everyone and their dog will be driving these wannabe hummers around. One of the coolest things about a humvee is that not many people can afford them. I am in the majority here - can't afford one - but would still love to have one.

What's next? GM makes a Lamborghini or Ferrari for the masses?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Nor do I like the fact that, soon, everyone and their dog will be driving these wannabe hummers around.
No kidding! I've already seen more H2s driving around in the past week than I've seen H1s in the past year. I even parked next to an H2 this morning at the gym. Yuk.
The Hummer is/was a mysterious truck that most "chicks" just don't get. For the most part (this includes my wife) they find them unattractive and unnecessary. All the more reason to lust after them. ;) :D The H2 is an attempt to appeal to a more broad audience (pardon the pun) and get more Hummers out on the roads. Those of us who love the original Hummer don't need this. There's a certain appeal to loving something untouchable and anti-mainstream. Anybody who has owned and loved a Macintosh computer understands this. Anybody who has ever owned laserdiscs knows what I'm talking about. Any early adopter of DVD who could see the problems of mainstream acceptance has experienced this.
Sure the H1 is currently left unchanged, but we'll be seeing the name Hummer all over the roads on an inferior product. It just won't be the same anymore.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well, I haven't worked on any new Macs. I've got an old Performa at home that I bought for college in 1995. I was a very active "Mac advocate" for a while, but started using PCs more and more until now where my Mac is for the kids to play on and I use PCs more. I still like Macs though, but I "go both ways." ;)
iMac is to Macintosh as H2 is to Hummer. :p)
(I've got the 2002 Hummer calendar on the wall behind me right now. This month is featuring "a 1992 4-door hard-top, which was the very first civilian HUMMER ever to be converted for Fire Department use. It was used by the Waterford Township Fire Department in Oakland County, Michigan. It is currently in active use as a brush truck for the White Lake Township Fire Department in the same county." Sweet! :D )

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Same here, I've seen more H2's in the past week than I've seen H1's in the FOUR years I've been here... so yeah, maybe people WOULD buy them if they were $12K. :)
It's a mystery to me though.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Count me in for the HMMWV, If somehow I could get a MILSPEC HMMWV with the slant back rear end (think Black Hawk Down)I'd be a very happy man.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I don't have one but one of my buddies does.

I can't speak about the off-road capabilities of the H2 but it was a pretty comfortable ride on the highway and local roads around our neighborhood. I don't know how much difference it would make but there is built in hydraulics which lift the rear-end another few inches which is suppose to help with stability and ground clearance for off-road use.

Personally I like the looks of the H2 but I'm not sure if I had 54 thou layin' around I'd up and buy a Hummer.

We certainly turn heads when driving around in it.

Brian

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Bill:

I'm an all G4 Powermac guy myself. Though at work I run both a G4 and an NT box. The new OS is pretty cool, I love having both BSD and a nice mac GUI!

I think the reason we are all seeing the H2s everywhere is simple. They look quite a bit like the H1s, and are half the price! A 50K vehicle is a lot easier to buy than a 100K vehicle.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Nice, Id rather have a military HMMWV, because the civilian models have to many creature comforts that detract from there usefulness and durability. If I had one id defiantly use it to its maximum limitations. I have always wandered what it was like to drive a truck into 5 feet of watter. Next time I have 50k burning a hole in my pocket ill pick on up.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Allan - You and I think alike. :D
When I've got the money I plan on picking up a referbed military HMMWV also and putting in some high back bucket seats, brush guard, winch kit, underbody armor, snorkel, and a first-aid kit...that's it! Ok, maybe GPS tracking device with a large LCD view screen. ;) But it would have to either be removable or coverable so I can occasionally hose out the interior. :D
Brian - By "ground clearance" I'm not just talking about body clearance. I also mean axle clearance. Those standard truck axles are gonna get in the way and get your differential cracked open.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks