What's new

I Love You to Death: it's non-16x9 widescreen (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Read it and weep. One of my most eagerly awaited titles, and Columbia is giving us a non-anamorphic 1.85 transfer.

You'd think that after six years we wouldn't have to worry about such things from a major studio...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
but, doesn't Columbia/Tri-star not really advertise their 16x9 titles(on the back), when in fact they really are

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I held off buying The Quick and the Dead for years because it never said anamorphic on the back hopefully it's the same thing here. When is this being released it's my wife's favorite movie. I might actually have to still buy it much like I had to buy the Full Screen Moonstruck.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Patrick ,

virtually *NONE* of Columbia's covers actually *say* "anamorphic"...only the odd exceptions. Go pull out all your Sony/Columbia DVDs off the shelf and look at their back covers. No apparent reason why Columbia is so inconsistent with whether or not they label the 16x9 status on the cover...just hit or miss.

Relax. Like almost ever other WS Columbia Tristar DVD this one is 16x9.

I think there might be 2 exceptions to this rule where Sony actually released a non-anamorphic WS DVD...their first Monty Python Holy Grail DVD and maybe 1 or 2 others (they didn't have access to the source elements to make a new HD transfer at the time the DVD was produced).

ALL IS WELL.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I agree with you that older Columbia titles were sometimes vague about the whole anamorphic issue, but it looks like the studio has adopted Universal's grid spec listing style(which always has been my favorite).

Just for comparison, here are the back covers for Laurel Canyon and Tears of the Sun which clearly state "anamorphic" under the OAR:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I think this one's going to be non-anamorphic.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There are still some new-releases from Columbia that use that universal-style chart yet fail to mention the 16x9 status (even though they are). We'll just have to wait and see...but in the meantime don't fret about it...99% chance it really is 16x9 anamorphic and just not documented on the case...

-dave

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
ALso, I noticed that I Love You To Death shows both full screen and widescreen in the grid-maybe they didn't have enough room to print 16x9?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
According to DVD File....

Pulling once again from their vast catalog, Columbia will also release the Lawrence Kasdan comedy I Love You to Death, The Whole Wide World and Irvin Kershner's Loving (not the soap opera). All include anamorphic widescreen transfers (I Love You to Death also includes a full frame version) and only trailers as extras. Retail is $24.95 a pop.
Woo, I was afraid I was gonna get stuck with those stupid black bars for a minute...the zoom feature on my player ain't working right...thanks for looking out for me, Columbia!

Yes, that was a joke

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Have Faith :)

Just checked the packaging of my Spider-Man DVD (WS of course) and it doesn't mention anything about "anamorphic" either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks