I love this Gladiator DVD Extras disc feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone.

I just borrowed this disc from a friend. I had never seen this movie. What a great movie and what a great DVD.

I am specially in love with the feature on the 2nd disc with the extras. Specifically the deleted scenes section.

More specifically, the last option of the deleted scenes that really is like a 3-5 minute compilation of deleted scenes and extended scenes throughout the entire movie (and not just one small scene like the rest are)playing in a row, one after the other. They play without dialogue. And to complete the package, these scenes play while the magnificent musical score is playing.

I just LOVE THIS. Any other DVD has this?

I know that there are a lot of DVD's with deleted scenes in them. But I have never seen one just like this one, that takes extended scenes and deleted scenes from the entire movie, ties them together without dialogue, and plays them with a magnificient musical score.

Thank you.

Carlos

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Yes, yes. This is one my fave extras as well. I love the first 3 min. Just beautiful, makes me tear up everytime.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    There's no doubt that the deleted scenes section on the Gladiator DVD is the standard for how this feature should be done. Being able to select each scene, and whether or not to play it with Ridley Scott's commentary, is a great option that too many discs omit. I hate it when I select the deleted scenes option on a disc and it just plays several random scenes with no text or commentary to put them in context and explain why they were cut.
    The montage is a wonderful way to present those bits & pieces which don't really add up to whole scenes. Has any other disc done this??

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I love this disc set too. Magnificient. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies, and this set helps solidify it. I have yet to get myself to listen to commentaries on any of my discs that have them. I have no idea why.

5. Christine Warren

I'm a history teacher and after using Gladiator as a "summary" of a lot of the attitudes, values and happenings of the late Roman Republic and Early Empire I showed the deleted scenes without commentary and asked the students why they thought they were left out. After discussion I played the scene again with commentary.

Interestingly enough their reasons usually matched up with Ridley Scott's. But they did decide that some should have been left in from an historical perspective and that they added another dimension to the film. It was a terrific two lessons that combined history and film appreciation.

Christine