"I love the smell of MDF in the morning..."

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally got the MDF for my next subwoofer project in a MDF enclosure (no less!). This enclosure is going be one heavy box. I'll be cutting up the panels this weekend, and hopefully putting the enclosure together in the coming week(s). And of course most steps will be photo-documented.

Project recap: Driver - original SVS 12" driver, 4.5 ft^3 of internal volume, tuned to 20Hz with a 4" wide flared port 18" long (19" total end-to-end), dual MDF layers for top and bottom, other vertical sides edges will be braced with 2x2's and there will be 2 other MDF braces evenly spaced in the horizontal orientation.

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

mmmmm, graham crackers [​IMG]

5. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

what do you guys think those gram crackers are made of?

6. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I know what you mean Patrick. For my first DIY project I decided to try a complete 6.1 home theater system with subwoofer. I thought I would never finish. Now that I am done, I am thinking that my garage looks awfully clean. That garage could really use a good haze of MDF dust. Even if I do all of my routing and sanding outside, I still end up with lots of dust in the garage.

Hmmmmmmm... What could be good next project. How about a full range floor stander. Two 5.25" and a dome tweeter in an MTM configuration with a sidefiring 12". I understand a prolific web-based speaker designer is working on such a beast. With rosewood veneer, it would really complement the decor in my living room. I'd better get building.

7. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

and to think .. i had to throw out 2 vacuum bags full of mdf dust when I was finished with my sub (not to mention the tons of it i had to wipe from everywhere and shower out of my hair)... i could've packaged it and sold it as some sort of a drug for the HT DIY enthusiast -- "always have that 'about to have a new toy' high with this powder around your house"