What's new

I Love reading Dell Tech Support horror stories :) (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OR anyone for that matter. It just amazes me that companies don't realise that outsourcing to India may be cheaper, but it drives away ALOT of customers. That's not to say the folks in India don't know their stuff, but with English as a second, maybe even third language, it makes it highly annoying. Heh, if this trend continues, nothing will be located in America anymore and we'll create a new country called America 2 :)

>>> That's one of several ways in which Dell will encourage customers who want more support to pay extra for it. In November the company will launch a slate of new offerings, including remote assistance so technicians can take control of the customer's PC to fix problems. And early next year Dell will introduce a series of one-year memberships so customers can opt for various levels of help, at various prices. One of the options will likely include a quarterly PC tune-up, in which a techie would remotely clean up the hard drive and check security settings.>>>

This one worries me a bit. Apparently XPS owners will get the 'best' tech support. So, all the poor schlobs who payed for a regular computer will get screwed, huh? Good business model :).

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
We bought an XPS and it wouldn't even boot. The support call to "Steve" went pretty well but I had to open it up and screw down the heat sink which was just left dangling. I can't see how that unit ever got out the door.

They better have good phone support. Some folks would not be comfortable diddled inside their new PC.

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
With all due respect, it's not the location that's an issue. It's the training.

Have you tried asking anyone at a brick&mortar store a question lately? And I don't mean immigrants, I mean the native born folks. I was in a Home Depot the other day, i won't recount the story as it's inappropriate for a public forum, let's just say the person was actually taking pride in their ignorance and slowness!
I left the store wishing for the person to be fired and replaced by an illegal immigrant - at least they've come to this country eager to work...

Rommel_L

Second Unit
I agree with Vivek, it's all about training and being competent enough to do the job.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I would say it has to do with cheap labor anywhere.

AND

Companies tend to neglect or cheap-out on the infrastructure needed to keep a handle on the outsourced product - In addition to the lack of training. Most US based companies use a third party to "rent" outsourced labor. It can become tedious and expensive to control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks