I love my wife! SVS sub decision.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Most wives get mad when men talk about their hometheater and upgrades. Well right now I have a pair of Boston VR-950's and a yamaha RXV-1400. I am very happy but I need a sub bad. As people know I have been posting alot and asking questions. But I think I have decided on what I want.

I brought my wife into work(soundtrack) the other day with my dad to look for a tv stand for him. I said "Hey do you want to hear DVD Audio?" He said ok. So I sat him down and my wife sat down with him. I pulled out my /////ALPINE dvd-audio demo disc and played a few tracks. I asked him.. Isnt that cool? Imediatly my wife jumps in and says "Yeah that was really cool!" Wich suprised me. Now I have her relativly addicted. I told her that was my ultimate goal. She asked what I need to do it and I told her. Since then she let me buy a dvd audio player, uprgrade my reciever and now she tells me I can get a sub for my birthday and all we need is a center and surrounds.

Well my wife is the kind of lady who hates the "upgrade bug"! Because I always bitch about it. So she said "I want you to get the sub you really want, I dont want you upgrading!" The other cool thing is she doesnt really care how it looks. But we listened to some of her music(country) the other night, and she kept saying "This would sound awsome with a really good sub!"

So I have pretty much decied on the SVS PC-Ultra. Now ron lives in the same town as me, so Im going to listen to it first. Im going to bring a sunfire sub from work along and do a head to head. Then come april, I will be able to order it! [​IMG] [​IMG] YEAH!

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Sounds like you got a great HT wife. [​IMG]

3. Jesse Sharrow

[​IMG]

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Yes, you are lucky like me! [​IMG]

5. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

Your wife and an SVS - a match made in heaven. Well, YOU and your wife and an ... you know what I mean.

[​IMG]

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Are you sure you want to embarass that Sunfire sub by putting it up against a PC-Ultra? [​IMG]

And nothing is better than an HT loving wife. Mine let me upgrade from a 20-39CS to a PB2+ [​IMG]

7. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Hehehe, my wife let me upgrade to sperate amps, upgrade the sub, add a couple of EQ's, got some bass shakers and to top it all off, she let me put acoustical foam on walls to help tame the first reflections from the main speakers. All of that in less than a months time. Only thing left to upgrade is my Kenwood 6070 that is functioning as a pre-amp.

BTW, my sub upgrade was from an Atlantic Technology 352PBM to the SVS PC-Ultra. I wouldn't waste my time in listening to it, just buy it already!!! lol. (although meeting Ron would be fun)

8. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I guess I have a great HT wife as well because when the boxes show up she says something like "now what did you get"? She has even dropped big hints that she wants a OTA HDTV antenna for the local channels.

9. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

"acoustical foam on walls"

if that's in your living/family room vs. a dedicated HT then your wife if incredibly understanding

10. John S

John S Producer

I think wives and significant others would tend to be more into it, if they even just faned interest for a period of time.

My significant other faught me on the upgrade to an HDTV, but the other night, I forget what we were watching. She made the comment all on her own. "I love our new TV"

She is really quite the movie buff herself, now that she has realized all the benefits, she is much more understanding of upgrades and equipment purchases.

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Hell, it puts a huge grin on my face just hearing that someone will be getting an Ultra. [​IMG]

12. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

No, its in a dedicated theater...still she is the best. lol

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Hmm, she may not like the way the SVS sounds with music. SVS have a hard time sounding good with music because of the flat response. May want to make sure you boost up the 40 to 50 Hz range when playing music.

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Forgive me, but this is kind of unfair to say the SVS has a "hard" time. Flat response is a positive trait, not negative. IMHO, it is the listener that has a "hard time" with flat response because they are so used to bloated bass in the 40 to 50Hz spectrum, usually due to the bass "hump" designed into subwoofers that do not have the dynamic range of the SVS and/or other quality models. Personally, I'll take music the way it was recorded, not with an artificial bloated bass that supposedly sounds "cool". YMMV!

15. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Jeff,
    I agree but I doubt his wife has heard good bass. unfortunately most consumers are used to bad sounding bass.

16. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I just wanted to clear that up because the post seemed to say that the SVS was not a good "musical" sub (what ever that is) [​IMG]. This crops up from time to time in the "is SVS good for music" threads and always boils down to the "bloat is good, I can FEEL the SLAM!!" vs. the "flat response is good" crowd. Glad to see you feel the same, but I did not get this from your post, thus my clarification.

17. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

My wife could care less about HT. You guys are very lucky. I guess in a way I'm lucky too, she let me buy my Denon 1803, Monitor 7's, and CC370 in december. She gives me a hard time about these upgrades, but in the end she lets me do as I please.

Here biggest beef is Surround Sound and Subwoofers. She just hates it when we watch horror movies (I'm a huge horror buff) because the surround noises and low bass from thunder storms scare her more than the movies do, LoL.

18. Ron Sc

Ron Sc Agent

LOL I have a HT wife that hates it when I make things fall off the walls[​IMG]

19. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

FWIW, my B4+ has no problems with music. I can pound down the walls if I want to from any type of music. Want to add some bloated 40-60Hz? Just add an EQ. [​IMG]

20. Jesse Sharrow

Lol. Nice guys. Well the major thing is.. she was in chorus in highschool so she knows how music is suppossed to sound. Also she knows if she lets me buy what I want, eventually I will be happy and not want to upgrade. She thought wrong... Muhahahaha! Just kidding... she does it to shut me up so I dont bitch.