What's new

I love my Tempest, but......> (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I now want to build a "ported" Sonosub with a Tumult.

I am not good with the box building programs & cant find
any plans online.
Before the yelling starts, I am sure there are some to be found, I just have not found them. :b

I have done some searches, but mostly found plans for sealed or with PRs & not ports.

Can somebody direct me to where some are located.

Thanks......

- Cam

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to a ported design I build for the original HE-15. A Tumult would work in this box as well.

Note that for either the HE-15 or a Tumult, the level of construction shown is mandatory. This box is about 300lbs!

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
THanks Thomas......

Now, how about those "SONOSUB" designs....:)

I just need to know how much volume this requires, as well as porting.

Either that, or I am gonna go IB.....

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

A little figuring comes up with an 18" sonotube that is
~49" tall & a 6" flared port 25" long.
Would this about match your design volume wise?

Thanks......

- Cam

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Cam,

You better check with Adire. Im not sure that a Tumult is rated for long term use in a horizontal/downward firing position.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Using Adire's formula to find driver sag I found that the Tumult's to be right at 2% of driver Xmax. Adire says anything under 5% is fine so I would assume it would be ok. Brian Bunge has a downfiring Tumult with no issues as well. Better be prepared to strap a Tumult based sonosub down though.

- Dan

minhG

Stunt Coordinator

do you guys have moving companies on retainer? how do you manage with such a beast? I'd have to build it in the room to minimize the amount of moving!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
What's interesting is that per the equations the HE-15 comes in at 1.5% sag. John J. specifically said not to use it in a downfiring position.

Given the $500 price for a Tumult, I'd avoid any situation that could potentially lower it's life expectency.

minhG,

Funiture moving dollys..... ;)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

I figure since Adire's equation to determine if it's safe for downfiring so says "yes it is" then it would be Adire's responsiblity to replace the driver if doing so caused an issue. If they don't want to do that then they should remove the information from their website...IMO.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Then what the heck else is left....lmao!

Did you mean "vertical"/downward firing position?

If that wont work, design a cradle & lay it on its
side....:D

There had been no work for awhile at my Engineering Co.
(McDermott Eng.) so they fianally laid about 15 more
of us off.

Guess I will wait on the Tumult, or maybe go with one of those other 15" subs.
Got a decent severance package, so who knows.

Thanks alot.........

- Cam

Richard_M

Second Unit
Cam...

I am sure as Dan says that Adire wouldn't post this sort of info if the Tumult was not suitable for down firing.

And as Dan also mentioned Brian Bunge has his Tumult down firing and has had no problems.

Fire off an Email to Adire I am sure they will be able to give you some design concepts.

These Tumult drivers are amazing, so effortless in their operation.

With Kyle Richardson (Acoustic Visions), Brian Bunge (Rutledge Audio Design) & and of course Dan Wiggins (Adire) all being members of this forum you have a lot of experience with the Tumult at your side.

Although Kyle & Brian are in business to sell complete units they always avail themselves to help others, this I find shows the class of individual they both are.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Just emailed Adire asking for volume/port requirements,
and also if the Tumilt is suitable for down firing.

Guess I'll have to wait till Monday....
I have plenty-o-time, though.....:D

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Cam, sorry to hear about the layoffs, I hope things pick up again soon.

Looking on the bright side, I know its not much, but you should have some time to work on your new sub project now. Other than the orientation issues, have you settled on a design/volume? I've been looking into sealed LT'ed Tumults a bit lately for what I would like to eventually upgrade to from my Tempest.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Cam,

During the design phase of the Tumult one of the things I requested was that it be suitable for downfiring. Dan Wiggins assured me that it would be. I've had zero issues with mine downfiring and I know of at least one other company using the Tumult in their finished subs in a downfiring configuration.

Concerning ported designs, there are no "published" designs for the Tumult, but Thomas' design would work well. Also, as someone else mentioned, a Tumult in a sonotube better damn well be strapped down to the floor! :)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thanks Owen,

Already missed one call from a headhunter Friday, lol.

I had been looking at sealed enclosures as well, but....

I am curious how the Tumult would react in a 5.5 cu/ft
enclosure. I wish I was more knowledgable as far as using the volume & port calculators, but they never seem to work for me.

If I took 30" of 20" sonotube (which I have), it would come out to just over 5.5 cu/ft. Then I was considering a 6" port ~18" long.
As far as strapping it down, I was thinking possibly to make it as a two part unit, having a "detachable" weighted base.

I was considering a pedastal type base filled with about 80# of sand/shot or something. This would also make it easier to move about as the weight is divided between two pieces. This would have the total weight around 175#.

How about some comments from you wizards out there....

Thomas???

EDIT: Revised port design

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Bend or no bend, you won't want to tune your sub to 33hz anyway...much less in a 5.5ft^3 enclosure. If you are set on a ported design I would aim for the volume of the sub Thomas linked to above. You would need roughly 45-50" of the 20" diameter sonotube with a 6" port around 22" long. And be sure to weigh it down LOTS. Or strap it down. Put an eyelid on the top and 4 eyelids in the floor around it. Attach two ratchet straps and have at it. :)

- Dan

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
yep...you are right, it would be more like 40" of 20"....that would be just over his volume...I figured wrong the first time...but then that does not account for his bracing which I would not have.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Even with that port size, in a 5.5ft^3 box you're going to have a big rise in response from about 38hz down to 25hz. I don't really like any vented alignments in that box size myself. But that is just me.

- Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks